Convict Cihlids with tetras?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

amack00

Reaction score
New to this forum, so hopefully this is the place for this question. I had a pair of convict cichlids and recently my female passed away. She was around 6 years old and has had countless spawns of fry. So now I have a single male and I don't want to get another female and deal with the constant hatching of fry again. I was thinking maybe getting a school of some sort of tetra or barb. I have a 55 gallon with only the one male convict in it right now. Just seeing if anybody has heard of keeping one cichlid and a school of smaller fish before. any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated!

I have x-ray and Buenos Aires tetras with mine. 2 female convicts and a male firemouth. No real issues with the tetras from the convicts or firemouth.

My recommendation would be no, unless you are okay with possibly losing some/all of the tetras over time. I have kept Convict's several times over the years and have personally never met a more purposefully aggressive fish.

There may be someone here who has kept them with tetras successfully, but my recommendation are similarly sized/aggressive fish.

Yeah no luck keeping my single male convict with anything other than a single bristlenose and only then cause the bristlenose is so good at hiding and only comes out at night when the Convict is sleeping. Lol

Most reactions

Back