Conversion From Cold Water To Tropical Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fixxie

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I need a little advice. I have had a cold water tank for a couple of years now and have just discovered that the 2 fish sold to me as cold water are actually tropical. I have one Danio & one corydora. Can anyone advise me on the best way to convert my tank to a tropical environment without harming my fish?
Thanks!

Very simple solution, just add aquarium heater (which matches your aquarium's number of gallons) and that's pretty much it haha.

Is there coldwater fish in there too? Or just those 2?

No, just those 2. :)

Very simple solution, just add aquarium heater (which matches your aquarium's number of gallons) and that's pretty much it haha.

That simple!? I think I'm expecting something complicated with a tropical tank!
I bought a heater which starts at 20 degrees. Is it worth gradually increasing the temperature over a few days so they don't get a shock?

Ok. What size is the tank? Do you know how much water is in there? Also have you lost many fish due to not having a heater or only ever had the 2?

Ok. What size is the tank? Do you know how much water is in there? Also have you lost many fish due to not having a heater or only ever had the 2?

It's quite a small tank, only 25 litres and supports 3 fish comfortably - I've had 4 fish in there twice but the weaker has died both times. These were both goldfish so couldn't be due to not having a heater.

It will be a good idea to gradually increase it if they've not been in a heated tank. I'd go for a degree a day. Get an accurate thermometer too, don't rely on the setting on the heater because they can be wrongly calibrated sometimes and therefore way out. I've got one that set to 21 degrees is actually 25!

Ok. I've got a 25 watt heater for sale if you want it? What heater did you buy and what watt is it?

Fixxie said:
Dominus_XVIII said:
That simple!? I think I'm expecting something complicated with a tropical tank!I bought a heater which starts at 20 degrees. Is it worth gradually increasing the temperature over a few days so they don't get a shock?
Yes it's that simple lol, no need to worry. The heater won't boil the water, set it to 27 degrees C and it will gradually warm up the tank by itself. You don't need to increase it by increments, although some individuals will. As long the water wasn't lower than 24 degrees, you wouldn't need to increase the temp by increments.

Danios are pretty hardcore, well zebras are so I wouldn't worry about him. What kind is it? I'd get him a few mates of his own kind. They don't give off much waste either so you should be able to support a few more. What filter is in there? Also Cory's prefer to be in groups too but I wouldn't put any more in a tank that size.

That simple!? I think I'm expecting something complicated with a tropical tank!I bought a heater which starts at 20 degrees. Is it worth gradually increasing the temperature over a few days so they don't get a shock?
Yes it's that simple lol, no need to worry. The heater won't boil the water, set it to 27 degrees C and it will gradually warm up the tank by itself. You don't need to increase it by increments, although some individuals will. As long the water wasn't lower than 24 degrees, you wouldn't need to increase the temp by increments.

Ok cool, thanks. I'm pretty sure my water is under 24 degrees, my heating is only set to 20. Thanks for the advice :)

Nah maybe in Canada! 21 celsius is average room temperature in UK. I looked into this when setting my tank up and 25 celsius seemed a good temp.

Danios are pretty hardcore, well zebras are so I wouldn't worry about him. What kind is it? I'd get him a few mates of his own kind. They don't give off much waste either so you should be able to support a few more. What filter is in there? Also Cory's prefer to be in groups too but I wouldn't put any more in a tank that size.

The heater is 25w aquarium-heizer aqua pro so should hopefully be ok, thanks for the offer though :)
The filter is a fluval u1.

I was thinking that, I've been reading up on them today and saw they liked to be in shouls, I feel awful - They must be miserable! Ill get one more and see how it goes. Might be time for a tank upgrade... :)

Do you have a recommendation for food? They have tetra goldfish at the moment but I'm not sure now that's the best thing for them.
Thanks for all the advice

Don't worry about it. Pet shops should tell you this, but unfortunately they are full of inept people that don't know what they're talking about and just want to get the tills ringing. I'm personally not a fan of flakes, messy and get everywhere. I buy Hikari stuff, small fish go nuts for their Micro Pellets. There's a massive choice but I'd definitely get some Tropical food. I have some for sale if you want it? Ha! I'm closing my tank down you seen and have allsorts of stuff to get rid of!

I had 6 Glowlight Danios in a small tank, around 28 litres and they were fine. What danio is it?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back