FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan Cavalieri

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I am disabled and am on oxygen 24/7. I still manage to clean my house and take my trash out - and occassionally drive but for the most part I am homebound and have everything delivered - groceries, RX's etc. I struggle to shower and dress and do nearly anything that takes effort. I am trying to exercise to increase my strength but feel like it's a lost cause. I know I am terminally ill and like have 5 yrs or less to live. I'm currently 60 yrs old, although most people guess I'm in my 40's.

I have an assistant to do the water changes for my two aquariums weekly. I pay him $50 an aquarium and once I get the 90 gallon aquarium into action - then I'll pay him extra for that aquarium. I'll be moving fish around and will end up with one 50 gallon and one 90 gallon so I'll likely pay him $150 per week. I think that is a generous amount to pay and he does a good job.

The problem is that he is not vaccinated from COVID and has no intention of getting vaccinated. He also often bring his VERY annoying 5 yr old with him most weeks. She is not overly active but makes these horrible grunting sounds CONSTANTLY (she talks perfectly fine). Interruppts me constantly and her dad provides no dicipline. I frequenltly tell her to "shut up" which is very rude for me, but it does work on her. I can't stand the child but she does keep her masks on and he religiously wears his mask. She, of course is too young to be vaccinated but they have no plans to vaccinate her.

I have another assistant that used to care for my fish until reliability became a problem, she is currently de-weeding my landscaped areas - there are some beautiful bulbs planted and there used to be other plants until the weeds choked them out. In the spring I will likely pay her to add some bushes to the front where they just moved my gas meter and it looks terrible. I pay her very well for a very hard job. I've also given her money in the past when she has run short. She is NOT vaccinated - she lives with her ex-husband and their two young girls. None of them wear masks. She believes the vaccine causes horrible things and they haven't tested enough even though they are now FDA approved. She's just a rebellious spirit that doesn't trust or believe any politician but watches some terrible extreme right-wing news on her phone (she can't afford cable since she quit her job because she was sure they would fire her). She used to work from home (on the phone and computer) but to save money kept her kids home frequently from daycare (she wasn't allowed to have anybody at home while she was "at work". ) They monitored a number of her phone calls where they could hear her kids in the background and gave her warning after warning. So she just is completely non-obedient, BUT when she is working she works 1000% better than anybody I've ever seen. Amazingly strong and tough. I'm sure they were going to fire her - they given her at least a dozen warnings and told her one more and she would be fired. She still didn't perform as required. Even when her kids are at day care and now one at school - she would leave during work hours to transport one or both to daycare or back home. Her ex-husband works long hours in construction but is a drug addict, Again, not only did she fail to tell me she was not vaccinated - she doesn't even wear a mask. Her mother recently had a kidney transplant (making her high risk) and she STILL refuses to get vaccinated even though she could kill her mother (who is vaccinated)

I have been vaccinated. But still fear catching COVID due to the new strain. Even a mild case could hospitalize me (if there is room). I just recovered from pneumonia - it took 3 months. My lungs are extremely damaged, I have been told I would not survive a ventilator. So here I have all these people close to me that are unvaccinated only because they don't want anybody to tell them what to do and they don't believe in the vaccine but believe it is what is killing people. I get so angry I frankly want to fire them both for refusing to get vaccinated but I had a terribly hard time finding anybody to do this kind of work for me and I can't do most of it myself.

What do I do?

I would keep the gardener- she's a hard worker and it's outside. Insist she doesn't come inside and that she regularly uses hand gel, you can provide a bottle and ask her to show you that she is using it when she arrives. Stay 2 metres apart and don't pass items to each other. Have a bag (sturdy like a reusable grocery bag) for her to place your tools etc in and don't touch it.
But the fish tank assistant is indoors so that has to stop. Being indoors is significantly higher risk so an unvaccinated person is too much risk. The child being unvaccinated is unavoidable but she shouldn't be there - he's paid very well and his undivided attention should be on the job. You need to find a new assistant.

Don't think that you can talk either person into getting vaccinated, that won't happen.

I would keep the gardener- she's a hard worker and it's outside. Insist she doesn't come inside and that she regularly uses hand gel, you can provide a bottle and ask her to show you that she is using it when she arrives. Stay 2 metres apart and don't pass items to each other. Have a bag (sturdy like a reusable grocery bag) for her to place your tools etc in and don't touch it.
But the fish tank assistant is indoors so that has to stop. Being indoors is significantly higher risk so an unvaccinated person is too much risk. The child being unvaccinated is unavoidable but she shouldn't be there - he's paid very well and his undivided attention should be on the job. You need to find a new assistant.

Don't think that you can talk either person into getting vaccinated, that won't happen.
Sums it up perfectly.

If I were in your position where it could be life or death I would put myself first. At the rates you are paying the assistant could you not get in a professional maintenance company? Maybe someone attached to one of your prefered LFS?

Wills

As Wills said, there are many smaller, specialty fish stores that offer on-site aquarium installation and/or maintenance. I don't know the costs involved as I've never hired one. Since small specialty stores often service fish tanks for companies and in places like hospitals, dentists offices, etc. it would surprise me if they don't have at least some vaccinated staff since probably the same concerns would exist at those places. If you do a search for "aquarium maintenance" or "aquarium maintenance service" in your city or with your zip code you might find something.

Yeah the aquarium assistant would be told that the child needs to be left at home. This would not be negotiable. Wear your mask and try to stay away from him when he is there. Allowing ANYBODY regardless of vaccination status into your home is a risk. You just do what you can to minimize it.

I have something of a similar problem. I have a terminal cancer (if we cannot manage to keep it at bay) and had a cycle of chemotherapy during the past months this year, which was successful at stopping the cancer from spreading, so far, but the opportunity of vaccination for Covid appeared during the chemo and I talked with my oncologist about it. He said that the chemo had literally eradicated my immune system, which means that exposure to Covid would be far more likely to be fatal, and therefore, get vaccinated. I have, both shots.

We are in the midst of a fourth wave now in Canada (and the USA it seems), and it is far more serious. Like any virus, this one will continue to mutate around defenses. The facts are clear; anyone who does not get vaccinated is putting all of us at risk, and I find this reprehensible. To be so selfish as to not care one iota whether you, Jan, or I, or the elderly in care homes, or the medical staff who are risking their lives to protect us, live, because they have some nonsensical view that their "rights" are being violated, or the vaccine is really only a method to plant microchips in people [don't laugh, one in five Americans seriously believes this] is the lowest form of sub-human I can imagine.

Dr. Bonnie Henry is BC's chief medical officer, and she advised that we continue to wear masks in public, even though the mandatory requirement was lifted (in July this was), and I took her advice. She is a qualified medical doctor, and knows the consequences better than I can, and I listen to such experts; same goes for my oncologist. Now with the rapid increase in cases and the very real threat that before too long our hospitals will not be able to treat everyone, masks are again mandatory. Vaccinations of just over 75% of all Canadians is a step in the right direction, but this has to go further. Anyone who, for any reason other than a legitimate medical one, refuses to act like a decent and responsible human being is frankly in the dregs of society.

How do we know who is responsible for the spread? 🤔

I must have missed the point then, I thought Jan was asking what she can do as her help refuse to be vaccinated...the answer being unless she gives them the sack and employs people already vaccinated there's not a lot else she can do 🤷‍♀️

Stay on topic everyone. There is a separate thread in General Chat for COVID. Take discussion related to that topic over to that thread and leave this one for helping the OP with the specific situation described. The OP could still benefit from suggestions on places she might contact for aquarium maintenance particularly if there's anyone who sees this who knows the Topica fish scene. However, if this thread just turned into unrelated arguing it may get locked.

This thread has continued off topic despite the warning I already posted, so I have locked it. Take all COVID discussion to the specific thread for it in general chat and don't turn other threads into more debates about that topic. If anyone has specific advice on how to resolve the OP's aquarium maintenance situation then I would recommend sending a PM to the OP directly.

I moved a few posts that were not directed to OP's original post. They are now in the covid thread here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Back