Controlling nitrates with low flow HOB full of seachem DeNitrate?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jimmyjam923

Reaction score
Ive been looking into Seachems De Nitrate product and it seems to achieve the desired anaerobic growth the flow needs to be like 50gph. So i am consodering getting an aquaclear HOB and packing it full of DeNitrate and turning the flow down. Anybody have any experience or knowledge of the DeNitrate and or Aquaclear filters? Does the flow reduce enough to make it anaerobic?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Denitrators require anaerobic conditions. To get that in water, you need a sealed container like an external canister filter and a very slow flow rate. Mine was getting 1 drop per second. Anything more than that won't work because you get aerobic conditions and the denitrating bacteria won't develop. 50 gallons per hour will be a normal aerobic biological filter.

AquaClear hang on back style filters are not the best for denitrators because they have too much air flow around the top (the oxygen levels are too high). Look for a Fluval or Eheim external canister filter, or something like that, and have water dripping into it very slowly.

------------------------
As for the SeaChem de nitrate product, I have never used it so can't comment on that bit. However, the SeaChem website says it "Removes nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and organics".
If it removes ammonia, then you won't get nitrites or nitrates because the nitrogen cycle will not be occurring. If that is the case, you may as well use Ammogon/ Zeolite and recharge it every week. You won't have ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. You also won't have a biological filter.

Many have tried (including me) and many have failed to use this type of product successfully.
What is the source of the nitrate? If its in your tap water filter it before putting it in your tank. If you want to reduce the frequency of your water changes then don't.

@Colin_T is right. To achieve anaerobic conditions you would need to measure drops per minute rather than GPH.

I too have tried several such products and it’s money down the drain.

I tried for many months using an Aquaclear 70 with an AC20 impeller for low flow. The filter was filled with a mix of Seachem De*Nitrate and Seachem Matrix. The Matrix/De*Nitrate products are a pumice stone (a type of lave rock) with micro pores that in theory, in a low flow, should act much like live rock in salt water.
Sadly, I never saw any reduction in tank nitrates.
------
I'm now experimenting with anoxic filtration using a 4L loc 'n' loc canister and a Tom Aqualifter pump (Also have baskets in my 110g stock tank). Media is clay kitty litter and flourite red, It's too soon yet to determine results as it takes at least 2 months for bacteria to get established,

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back