Considering Purchasing Hospital Tank.... Need Advice.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Inchyally

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay, I had 2 fish die recently. They were 2 German Blue Rams purchased from the same store. They looked sickly and underfed when I purchased them but I thought I could nurse them back to health. One had completely deformed fins. One died after a week and one died in under a day. I think they may have been inbred; my water stats are fine and all, and my other Ram purchased elsewhere is more full-bodied and active. Those 2 were pale, the one I have left shows all of his colors.

But anyway, I would not put either of these fish to die (well, I attempted to treat one with no success. My dad found the other dead) in my 20, which I am taking down. There are still a few fish in there and disease may be spread. I am going to move the remaining fish into the 55 over the next week or so then take down the tank. (which will be definitely at full capacity, and yes I know the adult size of the Severum and Pleco). I will have no room for the 20 as I am pretty much 100% sure I am getting a marine tank in December, anywhere from 29gal to another 55, possibly larger if there is money (and find room) for it. I cannot use the 20 as a hospital because I have nowhere to put it. I was going to buy a tiny tank but which one of these would be the better choice.

Pretty much assembling my own 1gal hospital. It is TINY, but most affordable. It comes with a filter, and lighting. That tank is $9, by FAR the most affordable. There is also a 2gal heater, for $13. It may be for a bigger tank, but I have never seen a 1gal heater. This would be easiest to find a spot for in my house. Add in the price for a small packet of gravel, about $30.

5gal. This will be a bit pricier and I don't know where I would put it. Tank is $36 with heater and filter. But I don't trust the brand name. It was sold at Wal-Mart and people said, not this tank in particular but others of the brand leaked. It is a 1foot tank that weighs about 50lbs full. I don't know where I would put this, possibly on my dresser. Add in the price of gravel (which is pricey around here!) I would guess $50.

I saw something in the middle, a 2.5 at Petco, but it was almost $50 for the tank. It had a heater and filter and was brand name, but I don't have much money now so I wouldn't be able to afford it. Add in gravel, $60...

What should I do?

EDIT: Posted this in the worng section, but I think I can still get an answer.

If you are just using it for a hospital/QT tank there's no need for an actual glass tank. You can pick up a clear plastic (food grade) container at most stores pretty cheap, add a sponge filter (you can leave this running in your main tank so it is always cycled) and a heater (just be sure it doesn't rest against the sides of the "tank"), presto instant hospital tank.

You could do this very cheaply and get a much bigger container as IMO 1 or 5 gal is just too small especially if you need to treat several or larger fish. That way too when you don't need it, store the container/heater and move the sponge back to your main tank. You could save even more money by building your own sponge filter. :good:

If you are just using it for a hospital/QT tank there's no need for an actual glass tank. You can pick up a clear plastic (food grade) container at most stores pretty cheap, add a sponge filter (you can leave this running in your main tank so it is always cycled) and a heater (just be sure it doesn't rest against the sides of the "tank"), presto instant hospital tank.

You could do this very cheaply and get a much bigger container as IMO 1 or 5 gal is just too small especially if you need to treat several or larger fish. That way too when you don't need it, store the container/heater and move the sponge back to your main tank. You could save even more money by building your own sponge filter. :good:

I actually never considered that. It is a good idea. I do have a spare 20gal heater (bought one for emergencies) and I guess that can work for a container. Just use a used filter sponge? Would you put in some water from the established tank? Is all plastic 100% safe for fish, too? Thanks. :)

I actually never considered that. It is a good idea. I do have a spare 20gal heater (bought one for emergencies) and I guess that can work for a container. Just use a used filter sponge? Would you put in some water from the established tank? Is all plastic 100% safe for fish, too? Thanks. :)

You wouldn't need to add any water from an established tank as long as your PH/KH is pretty much the same from the tap. I believe you need to look for food grade plastic, most containers will say if they are or not, I'm pretty sure most/all rubbermaid containers are. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back