Considering Cichlids for the first time

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'd recommend 75%.
Agreed. I take out as much water as possible down to the fish back once a week on my American cichlid tank. Africans will be stocked more heavily than my tank

I've been doing big water changes for a long time and growth rate, life span, and obvious overall health is clear evidence to me this is the way to do things.

Treating and heating prior to filling is the safest way to water change, but many people do not have the means to do that especially with larger or multiple tanks.

I have been conditioning as I fill with tap water for many years without issues.

Blimey, 75% seems pretty heavy. How would you do that? Would you do several small changes or all in one. Lowering the water level that much in a single hit sounds like it would stress the fish. And, yeah, that sounds like you'd drop the temperature pretty badly.

Blimey, 75% seems pretty heavy. How would you do that? Would you do several small changes or all in one. Lowering the water level that much in a single hit sounds like it would stress the fish. And, yeah, that sounds like you'd drop the temperature pretty badly.
You can boil water and pour some in. In big tanks you can get a hose meant for water changes called Python. Even if the water is cooler it simulates a cold rain, which is common in tropical environments. If you do it right it takes around 30 minutes, and in the end you avoid stress by reducing nitrates and fish waste in the water column.

I once had Brichardi's. They were cool. No plants at all, just rockwork. What was very fascinating was that successive generations of fry were helping raise the newest ones. I had about thirty in a twenty gallon before I gave them away. Did a daily water change and I had no problems. African cichlids are cool.

If your filtration is ‘over powered’ for the size of your tank, which is what’s recommended for keeping African cichlids, I’d be comfortable with 30% - 50% water changes. Keep an eye on the nitrates and if they are higher that they should be, increase the water change %.

I’ve read on seriouslyfish for a few species of African Cichlids to keep the water changes small but regular as they don’t like big swings in water parameters.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back