Consequences Of Low Carbonate Hardness

Fishy_7

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was wondering what the consequence are with a very low carbonate herdness rating? I am cycling a tank that has ADA Amazonian substrate, which makes water softer and acidic but I didn't bank it lowering the KH by so much. At the moment, it is about 3 degrees, yesterday, it was closer to 6. The GH is holding steady at 7 degrees and the PH is about 5.5.

I am a bit worried about introducing fish as I do not know what problems there could be with the low KH. I filled the tank with 50/50 mix of tapwater (which is very hard) and ROin an attempt to reduce the hardness so the substrate maintains it qualities. I aim to place a pair of Rams in the tank and some Black Neons and a couple of cories.

Thanks

With a low KH the pH can crash very suddenly if the dissolved organics get too high, acids released from organic solids eat away at the KH and once it hits zero the pH drops like a stone. Low stocking levels and twice weekly water changes will help but ideally you want to get the KH up to around 6 for it to be stable.

Most reactions

Back