Confirm that these are EGGS

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

blw0489

Reaction score
I woke up to hundreds of perfect white dots on the sand and moss ball. No snails in tank (she took care of any intruders months ago - wicked aggressive for a female) she’s acting lethargic today, not swimming all over etc. I think she is eating them bc her poo was white today, likely causing a little constipation. Never was white before today. Please confirm these are eggs. Yes I see a white spot where her privates are : )

No ammonia
No nitrites
No nitrates
PH 7.0
No tank mates
Temp 77
It has been colder here lately in FL

Attachments

• 17B95D2D-0841-47C9-AB2B-28EA12D15E5C.jpeg
    17B95D2D-0841-47C9-AB2B-28EA12D15E5C.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 133
Is there anything else in the tank with her? Looks a bit like air bubbles to be honest.

I agree from the picture they kind of look like air bubbles. Hard to tell. Better pic maybe?

She also looks kind of bloated to me but maybe just the angle.

nope they arnt bubbles she’s eaten most of them by now. They are soft white perfect oval/circles . def not air! sorry about quality blame it on the slime coat
I agree from the picture they kind of look like air bubbles. Hard to tell. Better pic maybe?

She also looks kind of bloated to me but maybe just the angle.

Is there anything else in the tank with her? Looks a bit like air bubbles to be honest.
No other friends in there. Just her.

I think she looks bloated bc she’s ovulating* and keeps eating them!!

I was hoping for someone who has had betta females long enough and maybe has seen this before. They are all over the sand too.

Thank you

My female never laid eggs that I was aware of. She looks to be carrying eggs though. Be glad she is laying so she doesn’t get egg laden.

Just thinking about this...I have had my female goldfish lay eggs without a male before...only once. Her sac got full and too many to absorb so she had to release them. Be sure to remove them or they will rot and raise your ammonia. :)

Just thinking about this...I have had my female goldfish lay eggs without a male before...only once. Her sac got full and too many to absorb so she had to release them. Be sure to remove them or they will rot and raise your ammonia. :)
Wow thanks so much I didn’t know about egg laden.

She ate them all by the time i was home from she is such a beast, def will have a belly ache.

Appreciate the info!

Wow thanks so much I didn’t know about egg laden.

She ate them all by the time i was home from she is such a beast, def will have a belly ache.

Appreciate the info!
You might want to do a water change just to make sure she doesn't pick up any illnesses like dropsy. Dropsy is when the belly or sometimes whole body becomes swollen. If this happens do a water change and move the fish to a hospital tank. Just a filter and heater, no substrate is required inside the hospital tank. After this, start doing salt baths so if you have a 5 gallon tank, treat the water with 1.25 teaspoons of salt. Keep doing this for 7-10 days. If there is no improvement treat the tank with Maracyn Two. The fish will absorb that through it's skin and should start fighting off the dropsy. However if this doesn't work, the salt baths aren't working and Maracyn Two isn't working either, you will most likely have to euthanize the fish which is very sad.

Female bettas can disperse eggs on their own, without the assistance of a male, but obviously they will not be fertilised. They also instinctively attempt to create their own bubble nest to pop them into too. I've encountered this when breeding.

I once removed the female from the breeding tank after a couple of days when there was no joy with the male. The female looked massively stressed and I feared for her well being. I put her in a small quarentine tank so she could recover abit and when I returned an hour later I saw a small attempt of a bubble nest and eggs scattered everywhere.

I would advise you to do a large water change and attempt to remove as many eggs as possible. If she is bloated, fast her for a few days and offer her half of a boiled, de shelled pea to flush her through. Monitor that she is just slightly bloated from over feeding and that her scales aren't sticking out from her body as this is called pineconing and is usually an indication of dropsy.

Out of curiosity after reading your parameters, why is there no nitrates present in your tank?

Female bettas can disperse eggs on their own, without the assistance of a male, but obviously they will not be fertilised. They also instinctively attempt to create their own bubble nest to pop them into too. I've encountered this when breeding.

I once removed the female from the breeding tank after a couple of days when there was no joy with the male. The female looked massively stressed and I feared for her well being. I put her in a small quarentine tank so she could recover abit and when I returned an hour later I saw a small attempt of a bubble nest and eggs scattered everywhere.

I would advise you to do a large water change and attempt to remove as many eggs as possible. If she is bloated, fast her for a few days and offer her half of a boiled, de shelled pea to flush her through. Monitor that she is just slightly bloated from over feeding and that her scales aren't sticking out from her body as this is called pineconing and is usually an indication of dropsy.

Out of curiosity after reading your parameters, why is there no nitrates present in your tank?
Hi,
Nitrates were 0 because I did a big water change the night before. I keep my nitrates less than 5ppm with her. She’s in a a small tank because she was a rescue and too aggressive for my 75g, very easy to maintain.

I did say I think she was a bit bloated because she ate every single egg by the time I came home from work and she was also full of eggs. If I had known she was eating them so aggressively I would have removed her prior to. She pooped out the white eggs for 24 hours, I didn’t feed her at this time. Today I actually m gave her a piece of a small pea, always good for any fish! I give them once a week instead of food. She is perfectly fine swimming around today begging for food.

My initial question was just if these were eggs or if anyone has seen a bunch of white perfect ovals scattered across the tank, google had no results. Thanks to some replies I figured yes these were eggs so I’m good! She’s awesome for dropping them.

Def not dropsy!!

You might want to do a water change just to make sure she doesn't pick up any illnesses like dropsy. Dropsy is when the belly or sometimes whole body becomes swollen. If this happens do a water change and move the fish to a hospital tank. Just a filter and heater, no substrate is required inside the hospital tank. After this, start doing salt baths so if you have a 5 gallon tank, treat the water with 1.25 teaspoons of salt. Keep doing this for 7-10 days. If there is no improvement treat the tank with Maracyn Two. The fish will absorb that through it's skin and should start fighting off the dropsy. However if this doesn't work, the salt baths aren't working and Maracyn Two isn't working either, you will most likely have to euthanize the fish which is very sad
You might want to do a water change just to make sure she doesn't pick up any illnesses like dropsy. Dropsy is when the belly or sometimes whole body becomes swollen. If this happens do a water change and move the fish to a hospital tank. Just a filter and heater, no substrate is required inside the hospital tank. After this, start doing salt baths so if you have a 5 gallon tank, treat the water with 1.25 teaspoons of salt. Keep doing this for 7-10 days. If there is no improvement treat the tank with Maracyn Two. The fish will absorb that through it's skin and should start fighting off the dropsy. However if this doesn't work, the salt baths aren't working and Maracyn Two isn't working either, you will most likely have to euthanize the fish which is very sad.
Woah, please be very careful throwing out potential diagnoses and treatments without knowing the situation fully. I appreciate you helping my but my female betta is just an amazing queen who was loaded with eggs and brilliantly dropped them all with no male in sight, then she got excited and ate them all. Just because a betta has a big meal does not meal they will all bloat. She pooped everything out, had a pea today and is normal as ever

Woah, please be very careful throwing out potential diagnoses and treatments without knowing the situation fully. I appreciate you helping my but my female betta is just an amazing queen who was loaded with eggs and brilliantly dropped them all with no male in sight, then she got excited and ate them all. Just because a betta has a big meal does not meal they will all bloat. She pooped everything out, had a pea today and is normal as ever
I must politely say, I didn't say that she has bloat. I was just saying to you that this could happen. I understand that she is fine now but I was just saying to you what to do in case that ever happened. I wasn't saying she had bloat, I was trying to help you out and make sure that your betta didn't get sick. I would never wish upon a fish to die.

And also, in the post above where I talked about dropsy, I said just in case. I didn't say she had it but it was just a provisional.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back