Complete Newbie

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

You are welcome, it is good to help
yes.gif

When you say you have purchased the Fluval 2 - is it actually the Fluval 2 or the Fluval U2?  The Fluval 2 is an old model and therefore I would hope you got it cheap!  Personally, although I have the old model, if purchasing new I would go for the U2 due to its available options.

If you every need to replace the sponges in the Fluval, or wish to change the filtration options e.g. no need for carbon in a planted tank, do not buy the pre-cut as that is expensive, but get it in sheets and cut it yourself
wink.png
   That said, as you currently, only have the one, you may prefer to get the Fluval media.

Its the fluval u2. Are you talking bout the foam sheets? If so I've already bought a sheet of foam.

Have to hold my hand up RCA - I saw 20G and assumed it was UK gallons but can see now I was wrong. It's probably better to talk in Litres as they are the same everywhere as far as I know, whereas a Gallon depends which side of the atlantic you are!
It's probably a U2 if bought in a shop - could only find a really cruddy Fluval2 on Ebay. If it is the U2 Arctic, you should be quids in as it's good up to 110L.
It's always good to have healthy debate and I don't mind admitting when I'm mistaken.

Aha your last reply arrived as I was typing this so question answered! The foam sheet should be fine, however the U2 comes with its own preshaped sponge and that should be good for ages - as I mentioned before only replace foam when it falls apart not when it goes a dingy colour - once you've used it, it will never be white again! lol

Good luck with the new set-up and keep us up to date with how you are getting on.

Now that we have filters sorted out on to the fish. I've thread through research that you need to let the bag sit floating in your tank for 15 mins, before introducing them to your tank. Is this right and is there anything else I need to do to introduce them?

Arcticfox1977 said:
Now that we have filters sorted out on to the fish. I've thread through research that you need to let the bag sit floating in your tank for 15 mins, before introducing them to your tank. Is this right and is there anything else I need to do to introduce them?
You'll need to float them for 15-20 mins with the lights out and then add a cupful of tank water to the bag and leave another 15-20mins before gently releasing the fish into the tank water. Leave the light out for another hour to allow the fish to settle without being stimulated by the lights and then you can switch them on. Don't ever go from complete darkness to complete light or vice versa as it can shock the fish and make them dash about and maybe injure themselves on the tank sides or decorations. Ambient room lighting should be on going either way as a kind of lighting buffer - I always wait at least 10 mins with room lighting only before complete lights out or turning tank light on.

Arcticfox1977 said:
Also how many fish should I be looking to introduce to our tank first?
Depends what sort of tank set-up you are going for - cold water or tropical, freshwater or marine and how big the fish are. If you're not sure, do a search on here for stocking suggestions for a tank your size. Whatever you decide make sure you know what the adult size of the fish will be cos this is what you should use when deciding how many. Initially it's a good idea go softly and not jump in at the deep end with a fully stocked tank and this will give the friendly bacteria time to adjust to processing the waste for that number of fish (aka bioload).

Try to get a picture on here when it's all set up - it would be nice to see how you've got on and what you've decided on.

So we have picked up 3 female platys. First, as expected, quite slow and shy, but after an hour or so they started swimming about quite happily. The staff at dobbies did their water test to check for nitrate, ammonia and nitrate and pH. Ammonia and nitrite were 0 which was expected with no fish and no previous ammonia solution. PH was 7.6 which they said was very slightly high, it should be 7.4. Anyway, we were advised to get platys as these were hardier and bigger than guppys or tetras which is what we will be eventually going for. They also said to wait til tomorrow to feed them and to wait 2 weeks if we were adding more fish. Does any of this sound true or nonsense?? If so please advise on anything I should do.

Arcticfox1977 said:
These are all great advice that that everyone is providing. I have recently purchased the fluval2 and the api master test kit along with water treatment for chlorine. I have heard the marina s20 has narrow tubes and blocks easily after a short time. I agree both of you and both are completely correct going on my own research. I will take a trip into Maidenhead Aquatics in the future.
I really do appreciate all this advice.
Thank you all.

Great work you will not be disappointed with the Fluval U2 or the API Test Kit - just check the expiry date on it as they have a two year shelf life and believe it or not I was recently sold something that was almost two years out of date from a local Garden Centre!

As per Mamashack you will not need to replace the foam very often, I have also put filter floss in mine, before the water hits the central chamber.  I throw this away and replace it, but keep the sponges and the ceramic noodles i.e. foam on outside, filter wool on inside, ceramic media is in the middle.

Good luck at Maidenhead Aquatics, they usually have a good selection of fish and you can browse at your leisure.  I always write down the fish I like the look of and do my own research at home prior to purchasing anything new.
Glad we are keeping you happy
yay.gif
it is fun to help those who are willing to listen and learn, and do things the right way.

Mamashack said:
Have to hold my hand up RCA - I saw 20G and assumed it was UK gallons but can see now I was wrong. It's probably better to talk in Litres as they are the same everywhere as far as I know, whereas a Gallon depends which side of the atlantic you are! ....

Thanks Mamashack
friends.gif
, I too was happy to be corrected if I was missing something, I agree Litres are easier for me too, I always have to convert gallons to Litres to understand someone's post if they are talking in Gallons.  Maybe Litres could be a Forum Guidance (rather than rule) point - any moderators there?

Arcticfox1977 said:

BTW have you returned the Marina filter to the store?  I would be using the media from it to help seed the Fluval U2 as you have already started the cycling process with it.

I generally agree with Mamashack re: the introducing fish, but a couple of things I do slightly differently.  I introduce smaller amounts of aquarium water, especially with more sensitive fish.  If they are very sensitive I actually take readings of their initial water with the API test kit so I have a base line as to what I am working from - this is a bit overkill and I would not recommend it for all the fish you get, but it can be interesting to know what they have been in.  If it is then fairly different to what I have in the aquarium I take a bit longer acclimatising them.  I have bought a large syringe, a 20ml and a 50ml and these are great for adding smaller amounts of water every 5 mins, until the water in the bag is likely to be the same as the aquarium water.

When I release them, I actually remove them from the bag either with a scoop, so they are still in a very small amount of water, or a net.  This way minimum amount of original water enters my aquarium.

I do now generally quarantine all new fish, but that is a whole new discussion ;)

What fish do you fancy so far?

How old are the children?  They too are being very patient
whistling.gif

I thought you were doing fishless cycling - it usually takes a few weeks for the ammonia-converting bacteria and nitrite-converting bacteria to grow to sufficient numbers to cope, but since you've already got the fish (and yes platies are hardier than guppies, so well done Dobbies) you'll need to do 12hrly water tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and if the first 2 go above 0.25ppm do 50% water change. Bit different to what I said before but was talking about fully cycled tank then. Nitrates can get to 20-40ppm and be safe but over 40 deffo do water change.
Try to sex your platies as they breed like mad! Chances are if you've got a female she'll be pregnant already and ideally the ratio should be 2 females to 1 male (so that they aren't constantly being pestered - having said that I got 1 female and 1 male last summer and since December she's had a batch of fry every 5 weeks!!)
You may not need to buy any more fish if you have a pregnant female as they can produce several batches of fry from 1 mating! Like bloomin' rabbits they are!
I'd also do water tests on your tap water - if you've high nitrate level to start with (mine is 40ppm out of the tap) it makes partial water changes quite a challenge!
Good luck and take a photo if you can.

**OK just reread and it's 3 females you've got so chances are 1 if not all of them are pregnant depending how old they are.Don't want to scare you just prepare you - you could be in for a population explosion before long. You can tell when they are pregnant as they get deeper chests, a gravid spot just in front of the anal fin and start to "square off" nearer the birth time - they are live-bearers by the way and not egg-layers.**

PPS my tank water pH is 7.8 and they can tolerate up to 8.2. They will accommodate your pH quite happily.

Regards to using the media from the s20 with the fluvial would it fit? I was thinking about running the 2 filters at the same time so the fluvial has a chance to get good bacteria through it.regards to the type of fish, tetras, guppies. Community tank. Our children are 5 and almost 2. Older one was asking a lot of questions but very patient. I've ordered my water test. I don't have it yet, but will do what you are saying. No doubt there will be more questions on the way lol.

Sorry, I thought I mentioned that I was doing it the fish-in cycle. I just we can get through the next coming days till the test comes through. Then I will take the water change from there.

Well having read the article again it recommends 50% depending on the water test results which you currently don't have. So it's all a bit of a guessing game really. Try 10% daily - too little and the fish could become ill, too much and the cycling could be prolonged or delayed. You might be alright for a couple of days if you don't overfeed as you've got a 95L with 3 smallish fish in it. I started with 2 platies in a 30L and luckily they were alright. I wish I'd known about this site then because looking back I made lots of mistakes which could have been potentially fatal.

Good morning! You are up early! I couldn't sleep so am having a coffee whilst browsing the forum!

Up for work lol. OK,OK, really just make sure I've still got 3 fish, and.......... We do!!!! Hooray. Will do a water change today.

Most reactions

Back