Complete Beginner in a Fishy World

I really like what you've done so far.

Don't get carried away with the driftwood like I have. I'm never satisfied. I have driftwood in my tank, soaking in the garage, already soaked and put away, and continue to buy more. I still haven't found that perfect arrangement that I want. :(

For a first-time setup, this tank looks really great, I like it.
Is the black background on the tank?....is that a reflection on the front glass?
Thanks a lot! Yeh, the black background is already on. That is indeed. The tank will live in my office. The blinds will be closed permanently.

I really like what you've done so far.

Don't get carried away with the driftwood like I have. I'm never satisfied. I have driftwood in my tank, soaking in the garage, already soaked and put away, and continue to buy more. I still haven't found that perfect arrangement that I want. :(
This is great advice, I’m notorious for getting carried away. I have 2 large and 2 small pieces, that’s my lot!

So the driftwood is currently boiling away

9AAE5CCA-643A-4401-8143-2AE11E5C9D2A.jpeg

And a drip acclimation kit has just turned up as well. Not sure if this is gimmicky, but it made sense to me.

BA89B98B-B56F-4860-8B72-DE365E007CA6.jpeg

Here is the final day 1 update.

It was a fun and very wet day! I'm happy with the layout. I think once the plants start growing and filling out the tank, it will hopefully look much nicer. Oh and fish too!

I'm going for the silent cycle, which I've read about on here. I do need to get a few faster growing plants, which I'll hopefully get tomorrow.

The next question on the agenda is what inhabitants to get! I have very hard water, so from what I've seen my choices are pretty limited. Having an RO unit installed isn't out of the question, neither is getting RO water from my local aquatics shop. I do have a few questions, but I'll start a thread in the correct place on the forum and leave this thread specifically for updates.

Thanks to all that have commented and helped me so far!

Progress photo below.

IMG_0730.jpg

Day 3 Update

I have noticed today that the surface of the water looks oily, I don't know what's causing this. Even with my filter on full power, surface agitation is only about 1/4 of the surface water.

To help increase the surface agitation, I'm now considering either a bubble wall the length of the tank or buying a second filter for the other side of the tank (I like the sound of the HOB filters).

What would everyone suggest?

Day 3 Update

I have noticed today that the surface of the water looks oily, I don't know what's causing this. Even with my filter on full power, surface agitation is only about 1/4 of the surface water.

To help increase the surface agitation, I'm now considering either a bubble wall the length of the tank or buying a second filter for the other side of the tank (I like the sound of the HOB filters).

Biofilm, harmless.
Never hurts to have 2 filters, better surface agitation, and you have a backup if one fails.
I hate bubblers, lol....

Day 3 Update

Might be a good idea, there is a lot of water to filter.
I've heard of people using paper towels to remove oil from the surface, not sure if that's good or not.
Could it be the wood giving off oils?
Someone here will have some good advice I'm sure. Sorry I can't really help much. I'm a noob too.

Biofilm, harmless.
Never hurts to have 2 filters, better surface agitation, and you have a backup if one fails.
I hate bubblers, lol....
Biofilm! That's definitely the buzz word for me at the moment. Everything the better half asks about I just say Biofilm.

I'll have a look into getting a HOB filter then. I've seen a few people on the forum use the Seachem Tidal 55 Power Filter (HOB). I may give that a whirl.

Oh and get some bubbles ;)

Might be a good idea, there is a lot of water to filter.
I've heard of people using paper towels to remove oil from the surface, not sure if that's good or not.
Could it be the wood giving off oils?
Someone here will have some good advice I'm sure. Sorry I can't really help much. I'm a noob too.
It's just more biofilm. It's covered my driftwood and now it's on the surface of the water. I guess it's just all the bacteria growing in such a new tank.

Biofilm! That's definitely the buzz word for me at the moment. Everything the better half asks about I just say Biofilm.

I'll have a look into getting a HOB filter then. I've seen a few people on the forum use the Seachem Tidal 55 Power Filter (HOB). I may give that a whirl.

Oh and get some bubbles ;)
I've heard good things about the Tidals, but I use AquaClears, awesome little filters...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back