Complete Beginner in a Fishy World

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Tank Sinatra

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So here goes nothing.

I am a total beginner when it comes to keeping fish. The closest I have been to an aquarium is at Bournemouth Oceanarium.

So here are my plans (I think), they change daily. So hopefully writing them down and keeping a journal will help me to commit!

The tank I have bought is a Fluval Roma 240 with the cabinet and all things included. Why? Because it's German. They seem to make things really well. The tank is being delivered tomorrow.

I must've looked at hundreds of photos of other peoples fish tanks to try and decided on what kind of tank I'd like to keep. I have decided on a planted aquarium. So along with the tank that'd being delivered, I also have 20 or so live plants being delivered at the same time.

I have settled on a black background and black substrate as I think this'll help the colours of the plants and fish stand out nicely.

I do understand that I need to cycle the tank before putting any fish or other critters in there. Every website I read, prefers a 'fish less' cycle. So this is what I'll be doing.

I'll do my best to keep this journal up to date, for my benefit and hopefully others. So I guess I'll come back tomorrow with a photo of the tank once it's set up.

That's going to be a pretty nice set up.

Are you going to be using any type of rocks?
What are you thinking of stocking it with?

That's going to be a pretty nice set up.

Are you going to be using any type of rocks?
What are you thinking of stocking it with?
Let's hope so.

No, I' m not using any rock. I'm going for a heavily planted set up with a few large bits of driftwood.

I still haven't fully decided on my fish. I'd like one large school/shoal of 20+ fish and then a couple of other species. I always assumed it would be as simple as going to the fish shop, picking them out and away you go. But over the last couple of months of researching, I'm pretty sure I've done a degree in fish science!

Let's hope so.

No, I' m not using any rock. I'm going for a heavily planted set up with a few large bits of driftwood.

I still haven't fully decided on my fish. I'd like one large school/shoal of 20+ fish and then a couple of other species. I always assumed it would be as simple as going to the fish shop, picking them out and away you go. But over the last couple of months of researching, I'm pretty sure I've done a degree in fish science!
I'm glad that you have done your research, it seems like you will have a very good tank. Do you know what kind of live plants you are going to want in there? A black substrate is a great idea, I used white substrate once and you could see every piece of waste on there so I had to clean constantly. Best of luck and I'm so exited to see progress photos! Also welcome to the forum, we are so glad to have you! Best wishes, Nele.

I'm glad that you have done your research, it seems like you will have a very good tank. Do you know what kind of live plants you are going to want in there? A black substrate is a great idea, I used white substrate once and you could see every piece of waste on there so I had to clean constantly. Best of luck and I'm so exited to see progress photos! Also welcome to the forum, we are so glad to have you! Best wishes, Nele.
Thanks Nele. I hope the research does pay off.

I've just copied and pasted the order from my order confirmation email.

Limnophila hippuridoides x2
Murdannia keisak x2
Lagenandra meeboldii Red x1
Hottonia palustris x2
Cardamine lyrata x3
Bacopa Compact x3
Cryptocoryne Walkeri x2
Cryptocoryne Willissii x2

It's a mixture of foreground, midground and background plants. I ticked the beginners plants part on the website, so I'm hopeful they are easy to keep.

Last edited:
The tank arrived safe and sound. Along with the plants and all other little bits and pieces.

After a lot more stress than I realised, a fairly severe water leak and a very unhappy girlfriend the tank is full and everything has found its place.

Let's start with the leak. Putting together the fluval external filter looked very straight forward. However, there is a sort of rubber band that acts as the seal between the lid and the bottom compartment. I put this in the wrong place. So once the water level reached the filter outlet, we had a lovely little swimming pool on our 3 month old carpet. Luckily, I managed to shut the water off to the filter pretty quickly, but it's amazing how much water leaked. But hey, lesson learned!

I'm really pleased with the plants. They were very well packaged, all came with a little information tab and all looked very healthy.

Here is a photo of the tank as it stands

IMG_0694.jpg

I'm not entirely comfortable with the heater. I have read a lot of horror stories during my researching phase, where whole tanks have been lost because the heater has malfunctioned. There's already Ā£100 worth of plants in there. Can anyone recommend either a better heater (as I'd imagine this is a basic fluval heater) or something that can stop the heater from overheating?

I'm not entirely sold on the positioning of the driftwood. What do you think about the layout?

Any other recommendations?

Unfortunate about the waterfall in your house but glad it wasn't damaging.
Tank looks really good, obviously just gonna get better with time.
The positioning looks well, I'd have probably just placed the wood a but more off centre.
I rearranged my tank about 15 - 20 times lol
It's just what's looks best for you. Don't worry what others think.
Great tank that.

Unfortunate about the waterfall in your house but glad it wasn't damaging.
Tank looks really good, obviously just gonna get better with time.
The positioning looks well, I'd have probably just placed the wood a but more off centre.
I rearranged my tank about 15 - 20 times lol
It's just what's looks best for you. Don't worry what others think.
Great tank that.
Haha not cosmetically damaging, but slightly emotionally damaging.

I can see myself doing the same. Iā€™ve positioned it in the centre so that Iā€™ve got a good amount of space all round to clean the gravel.

Oh Iā€™m not worried about what others think, but Iā€™ve got to this stage based on inspiration from other tanks, so itā€™d be great to get opinions and advice. Iā€™m on day 1 of my journey, so I need all the help I can get.

Haha we've all made mistakes.

Yea I know what you mean about vacuuming the sub, I've tried to keep room for cleaning.

You'll probably get a better idea of wood position as the plants grow out. Anyway as it stands it's looking great.

Did you boil the tannins out of your wood or are you wanting the blackwater look, which would really suit this set up btw.

Move the driftwood over to one side slightly. ā€œRule of thirdsā€œ type theory for art/photography teaching is also handy when aquascaping.

Its looking good regardless.
If youā€™re going down the silent/planted cycle Iā€™d get as many as possible of the plants I mentioned on the other thread to speed everything up. Especially the floating ones. If you donā€™t like any of em you can always get rid of some once theyā€™ve done their initial job.

Did you boil the tannins out of your wood or are you wanting the blackwater look, which would really suit this set up btw.
I didnā€™t. I soaked them in the bath for a couple of hours and thatā€™s it.

As a beginner, I didnā€™t expect the water to discolour so much. I may take it out and boil it. I would prefer to have a ā€˜cleanā€™ looking tank.

Move the driftwood over to one side slightly. ā€œRule of thirdsā€œ type theory for art/photography teaching is also handy when aquascaping.

Its looking good regardless.
If youā€™re going down the silent/planted cycle Iā€™d get as many as possible of the plants I mentioned on the other thread to speed everything up. Especially the floating ones. If you donā€™t like any of em you can always get rid of some once theyā€™ve done their initial job.
Great stuff, Iā€™m unaware of this ā€˜ruleā€™ but it makes sense.

Iā€™m going to take the driftwood out of the tank and boil it, so I will have a play around then.

Unfortunately I had already ordered the plants prior to that message. I know that I have a few ā€˜fastā€™ growing plants in there. I may pop over to the local fish shop to see if they have any of the plants you suggested.

I didnā€™t. I soaked them in the bath for a couple of hours and thatā€™s it.

As a beginner, I didnā€™t expect the water to discolour so much. I may take it out and boil it. I would prefer to have a ā€˜cleanā€™ looking tank.
Ok I'd definitely recommend boiling the guts out of it then.. after an hour or so pour it out and do it again. 3 or 4 times should be enough. Or until you're satisfied.

For a first-time setup, this tank looks really great, I like it.
Is the black background on the tank?....is that a reflection on the front glass?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back