compatibility

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ratts

Reaction score
i have been reading up on cichlids. i have a 55 gal tank ready to add fish, only i cant decide what i want to add. what i was wondering was there any cichlids that are compatible together. i enjoy a varity of differnt fish, and i like alot of colorfull fish. i know alot of the cichlids are not good together, and some are better off alone. is there any combinations thet i could use that would be compatible. some of the ones i have read up on that i found interesting are: the parrot cichlid, kribs, electric yellow, powder blue, red zebras. could any of those go together? i think the combination of the ornge and yellow, and blues look great together.
another one i found vary interesting waas the jack demsy, would any thing be compatible with this fish, or more importantly, is a 55 gal big enough for 1.
i would apprciate any help you couod give. im in no hurry to add fish, until i decide what combination i want, and if all else ill go back to my all time favorites of gourami's.

first mistake, the blood parrot is not a cichlid, but a hybrid. the fish is man made out of the eggs from one fish and the sperm from another. there are alot of theories as to the two types of fish that are used. most common combination thought to be is the red devil and the green severum.

cobalt blues, yellow labs and red zebras would be comapatible. all are mbunas. johanni, bumblebees, chippokae, kennyi would also go together with them. would have to watch out for the aggression. the more the tank is overstocked with these fish, the less the aggression. also if these fish are maintained with three females to one male at a minimum the aggression level will also be lessened.

one jack dempsey would do in a 55. possibly two, but what fun would that be?

if yiou like the gourami's then check out the firemouths, theorichthys meeki. could have about 5 in this size tank.

semper fi

Have you become anti-hybrid? We used to laugh about it.

semper fi

thanks for your advice.

I have a few more questions. A jelly bean parrot, what is it, is it basicly the same as a blood parrot?

The cobalt blues, yellow labs, and red zebra's is some that i am interested in, glad to here that they would be compatible. i am thinking strongly on going with them. I am unfamiler with the others that you listed, ill have to look those up.

what is consider overstocked for a 55 gal, how many would that consist of?

(i am asuming the answer to this one is no, but have to ask) can 1 jack dempsy go into the tank with blues, labs, zebra's?

you also added that firemouthers(also unfamiler with) is compatible with gourami's. did you mean 5 firemouthes or 5 gourami's with i firemouth?

thanks f0r your help!!!!! :p

naw not anti hybrid. my daughter still has hers. just wanted to clarify that the parrot is not a cichlid, but a hybrid. :)

the jelly bean parrot is the same thing as the blood parrot. the colors are injected into the fish.

with the cobalt and the red zebra the only thing that you would have to watch out for is cross breeding. mbuna tanks are very pretty and the fish are always fun to watch.

generally these fish get to lengths of about 6" average. general rule of thumb is 1" of adult fish per every gallon of water. i have gone with half an inch of fish with the proper filtration per gallon of water with mbuna. the one thing you do ant to watch out for is the footprint of the tank. each will need their own territory in the tank.

might have confused you with the gourami's and firemouths. was not suggesting putting the gourami's in with the firemouths. when the firemouths are a little older i think they would be too aggressive for the firemouths. was saying that you could go with all firemouths in the tank. here is a link to the firemouth

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/haps/...ies_firmth.html

semper fi

semper fi

great advice, thanks a lot.

i will go with the red zebra's, cobalt blue's, and yellow labs in my 55 gal. i an goinging to set up my 29 gal and leave it to the gourami's.

the mbuna tanks are beutiful. i found a sit that had pictures of all different tanks set up and i was vary impressed with those assecially, also got a lot of "decorating" ideas.

the store i shop at has the blood parrots, jack dempsy, and varriety of osscars. I have always wanted a osscar tank(if there is ever oppertunity for a tank large enough) and always found the other 2 vary interesting, although i always thought that they would not be suitable for a "biginer". since i had a empty tank setting here i thought out of curiosity i would learn more about them, and to my surprise i found many more that cought my eye. also purfict water chemistry for what comes out of our tap water.

so now i will be looking for new a fish store, for the new addition to the family. although i will be doing some window shopping for a few more weeks.

one more question, at the pet store i had been shopping at, and having my water tested at, they told me to add 1tbs of salt per 5 gal.... good or bad for this kind of fish?

ratts

i use salt all the time w/my africans,just make sure you use the "african rift lake salt"
i use,instead of a tablspoon,a teaspoon per 5g(a tablespoon just seems like to much salt to me)i add it every month during a water change and let it dilute itself thru weekly water changes(40%per week)and since i've been doing this :thumbs: NOT one ich outbreak or any disease for that matter in over 3 yrs

salt is good for fish. helps with maintaining proper gill function in the fish. i do not use the rift lake salt like mostanks. just regular aquarium salt and i do add one tablespoon per every 5 gallons of water.

have to post pics of your new tank when you have it set up.

good luck!

semper fi

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back