Compatibility For Kribensis

Zanygrin

Reaction score
I am in the process of researching proper tank-mates for a pair of Kribensis. What has come up from the research I have some trust in are dwarf gouramis and kuhli loach. The kids want to add neon tetras or guppies and the hubby loves glass catfish. Are there any small schooling fish which you would recommend to accompany the kribensis in a 29gallon tank that is about 20 inches wide and 20 inches tall? I have no water conditions to provide since the tank remains empty as we work out the plans for our new tank. That being said we are very open to suggestions.

I have a pair of Kribs in a community tank (50G) and had no problems at all :)

Great fish to watch

I have had numerous community tanks succesful with kribs , and managed to breed them in all of the tanks. They do get a little aggresive when breeding but never had any casualties. The type of fish you list should be fine in that setup with the kribs. To be honest they are quite a peaceful fish and quite fun to watch especislly when the female continually flirts with the male.

I am in the process of researching proper tank-mates for a pair of Kribensis. What has come up from the research I have some trust in are dwarf gouramis and kuhli loach. The kids want to add neon tetras or guppies and the hubby loves glass catfish. Are there any small schooling fish which you would recommend to accompany the kribensis in a 29gallon tank that is about 20 inches wide and 20 inches tall? I have no water conditions to provide since the tank remains empty as we work out the plans for our new tank. That being said we are very open to suggestions.

Those dimensions look similar to my cube-shaped 620T which holds 130l, which as much as they hold a decent amount of water, they are tricky to stock.

Kribs act very similar to my Lionhead Cichlids, they are typically community pussy cats until they spawn, when they will suddenly become spiteful bullies/killers while being great parents. I would not advise combining them with anything that stays near the tank floor, especially with anything fragile like Kuhli Loaches, as the squat tank leaves them nowhere to escape.

Personally, I would look to top dwelling fish that are not too small yet not too energetic, such as a couple of African Butterfly Fish. If the tank was a "traditional" 29g, I would have said a group of six African Tetras, such as African Red Eye.

I have a 29 gal and a pair of kribs myself. i can tell you they will be a little territorial towards anything that comes into their area. the dwarf gourami should be fine. Also any danio would be a great addition. maybe 6 or 7 long fin zebras, they will school wich your kids will enjoy

I have a 20 gallon with a spawning pair of Kribensis. If your pair are a spawning, I would avoid all other bottom and cave dwelling fish. My pair of Kribs (I suspect the male) killed my catfish and 2 other female Kribs so I would be careful. My two other fish (blue ram cichlids) seem to be perfectly fine and stay around the middle to top of the tank. I can't put any type of catfish in my tank anymore.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm starting to lean more towards non-cichlids now. I'd rather have happy fish..! Would tiger barbs / guppies / gouramis work with Kribs?

Oh and incidentally, what's the general rule for stocking levels? Is it an inch of fish per gallon of water..?

Late reply but too put it simply, no. It is more of a max the inch fish/1 gallon of water. But with Kirby's it's more toward 1 inch of small fish per 3 gallons of water but consider how big the fish will grow. How is the tank now?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back