Compatability?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

im not sure about that.
he seems a bit shy tho

Think almost all gouramis are shy when they are first introduced to the tank until they get used to it. Where are you carl? just because it's a weekend doesnt mean you have to leave the forum :lol:
I was out buying some doughnuts lol :drool: :lol:
All gouramis are shy when you first introduce them. They will usually hide in the darkest corner of the aquarium or anywhere shady. I've never had a gourami that's not shy when I introduce them. After a month or two, they will get used to you quite quickly

Instead i got a beautiful blue dwarf
w00t.gif

Sorry i'm just commenting with info on top of my head and dont personally have any other gourami apart from the pearl, but i thought blue dwarf's are more aggressive than the pearl. Hopefully Carl will come and correct me.

Thanks

Carl, any insight on the above?

doughnuts :drool:

w00t.gif

Sorry i'm just commenting with info on top of my head and dont personally have any other gourami apart from the pearl, but i thought blue dwarf's are more aggressive than the pearl. Hopefully Carl will come and correct me.

Thanks

Carl, any insight on the above?

doughnuts :drool:
True, Dwarf Gouramis are more aggressive in general than Pearl Gouramis But when tank is not big enough for them, they can be just as cranky as Dwarf Gouramis. Pearls can be very aggressive when kept in very small tanks tanks and its not uncommon for them to kill other fish. When in large decent size tanks, they are amongst the most peaceful fish.

cool, hopefully it'll work out for fishy55599.

Also have you been feasting on those doughnuts for the last two days or what? :lol:

cool, hopefully it'll work out for fishy55599.

Also have you been feasting on those doughnuts for the last two days or what? :lol:

lol, yes, I've been sharing them with wife, son and new baby Hamsters :hey: :D

A 125 litre tank is a little small for a Pearl Gourami. IME, these are territorial fish, always forcing out other fish out of their area. I've had them with a shoal of Neons and the Pearls ate 3 of the smallest ones. Unless your Neons (And Hatchetfish) are very small, they shouldn't eat them. Also, they can be bullies, they love to pick on bigger fish, which in your case are the Rams. I'd say be cautious about adding Pearls to your tank. Honey Gouramis would be better alternatives in your tank and with your fishes.

neons are max size i think
hatchets are very small about 1.5-2cm

lucky my LFS didnt have any pearls then
laugh.gif

w00t.gif
good for you. i love dwarfs and i think they are very peaceful. shouldn't be any fighting.

A 125 litre tank is a little small for a Pearl Gourami. IME, these are territorial fish, always forcing out other fish out of their area. I've had them with a shoal of Neons and the Pearls ate 3 of the smallest ones. Unless your Neons (And Hatchetfish) are very small, they shouldn't eat them. Also, they can be bullies, they love to pick on bigger fish, which in your case are the Rams. I'd say be cautious about adding Pearls to your tank. Honey Gouramis would be better alternatives in your tank and with your fishes.

neons are max size i think
hatchets are very small about 1.5-2cm

lucky my LFS didnt have any pearls then
laugh.gif

w00t.gif
good for you. i love dwarfs and i think they are very peaceful. shouldn't be any fighting.

mine are very agressive for some reason lol well my female is!! :p i wish i went for honeys now aswell :shout:

honeys are definately less aggresive than dwarfs.. and i plan on getting some for my tank!

I'e had a large 3 spot gourami in with a shoal of 10 beacons, 3 unknown tiny tetra and 4 cardinal tetra for several months. It ignores small fish, though it attacked other gourami, and hasn't eaten any of them

it didnt work out, it was him who killed 2 silver hatchets.
so he is in a 35l for now.

i even have a paradise fish who doesnt beat up my 3 angels, and neither did any dwarf. never have i had any aggressive gourami

I'm still a newbie, but i have had my pearl gourami with a bolivian ram and apistogramma macmasteri pair for a month now. I have seen a bit of aggression from the bolivian, but it's just a nudge really to every fish and not just the pearl telling them to get out of his way. Sometimes, i have seen the pearl doesnt even budge when the bolivian tries to nudge him away. One thing to note is though that the pearl is slightly bigger and i mean slightly only than the bolivian ram.

I personally think you should be fine as they stay at differnt levels of the aquarium apart from during feeding time. Here is my Pearl

IMG_0303.jpg

One other important thing is to provide enough plant cover/shade so that they can go and hide/de-stress. I have hygrophilla and vallisnera and some hornwort floating on one corner of the tank and the gourami likes to rest there. But it is still active and i think it is the hungriest #28### of all the fish in my tank :rolleyes:

Good luck

thats a beautiful pearl ya got there

I'm still a newbie, but i have had my pearl gourami with a bolivian ram and apistogramma macmasteri pair for a month now. I have seen a bit of aggression from the bolivian, but it's just a nudge really to every fish and not just the pearl telling them to get out of his way. Sometimes, i have seen the pearl doesnt even budge when the bolivian tries to nudge him away. One thing to note is though that the pearl is slightly bigger and i mean slightly only than the bolivian ram.

I personally think you should be fine as they stay at differnt levels of the aquarium apart from during feeding time. Here is my Pearl

IMG_0303.jpg

One other important thing is to provide enough plant cover/shade so that they can go and hide/de-stress. I have hygrophilla and vallisnera and some hornwort floating on one corner of the tank and the gourami likes to rest there. But it is still active and i think it is the hungriest #28### of all the fish in my tank :rolleyes:

Good luck

thats a beautiful pearl ya got there

agreed what a awesome photo and fish :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back