Compability Advise!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

peds

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have got a 350L tank and I need some advise. I have seen pretty guppies today that I fell in love with! LOL. I would like to get some but of course I love my fish that I already haveso I need to be careful.
I have looked on a few websites and some people say YES and others say NO.
Please can someone advise me if they will go with my fish below

platies
cherry barbs
plecos
mollies
gouramis
tretas
zebras
rainbows
scissor tail

Guppies and mollies can interbreed so it's best not to keep them together unless you have all male guppies and mollies

Lillefishy said:
Guppies and mollies can interbreed so it's best not to keep them together unless you have all male guppies and mollies
thats more of a myth it shouldnt happen so no need to worry

yeah but its not really proven and its not gurranteed

peds said:
Hey guys

I have got a 350L tank and I need some advise. I have seen pretty guppies today that I fell in love with! LOL. I would like to get some but of course I love my fish that I already haveso I need to be careful.

platies
cherry barbs
plecos
mollies
gouramis
tretas
zebras
rainbows
scissor tail
what type of gouramis,plecos and what do you mean by zebras(loaches or danios)

Lillefishy said:
It's not a myth, it can & does happen

They can breed, but the offspring aren't usually viable, and almost always sterile.  The biggest concern is that if the female is the guppy it can cause more serious concerns.  The guppy being so small, it can actually die while being pregnant. (Just as breeding a horse and a donkey makes a mule, the horse needs to be the female - to handle the size of the colt.  So it is with molly and guppies.  The molly would need to be the female.)

Platies and Swordtails can easily interbreed and make viable offspring, that are capable of reproducing.

The easiest answer is to keep only males and you don't have to worry about any of this.  The male guppies are always the more colorful...

peds said:
Hey guys

platies
cherry barbs
plecos
mollies
gouramis
tretas
zebras
rainbows
scissor tail
TBH I wouldn't keep these fish together...

Most reactions

Back