Community Tank Focused Around Discus, Rams And Schooling

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

nathansimpson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm keen to get opinions on suitable tank mates for Discus.

My current set-up:
200L tank, 2 striped Dora, 2 guppies (at least what I was told were guppies although mine are extremely "square" looking) and a Golden Loach (that I hate) - These fish all came with my tank and were not bought by myself.

What I intend to introduce:
  • 2 Discus into (these will be my "main" fish ) and to remove the Golden Loach .
  • a small group of Rams (ideally Golden, or blues) - I looked at Dwarf Cichilds but too aggressive.
  • Ideally interested in orange/red/yellow/black coloured fish that tie in with my room colours but are of course, fairly compatible with one another.
(I have numerous care sheets for Discus)

What types of small schooling fish are suitable other than Tetra?
I've looked through multiple forums and compiled the following, of which are fairly decent colours too:
  • Carinal Tetra (Seem ok but fairly common)
  • Congo Tetra
  • Bleeding Heart Tetra
  • Lemon Tetra
  • Sarpae Tetra (apparently they are prone to nipping?..)
  • Black Emperor Tetra
Given the above, where does this leave my 2 Guppies?

I look forward to your replies.

Oh and i forgot to ask about Fighting Fish as they looks brilliant with awesome colour!

nathansimpson said:
Oh and i forgot to ask about Fighting Fish as they looks brilliant with awesome colour!
If you mean siamese fighting fish or bettas...then most people would say no. There are cases where bettas and guppies coexist but the chance of fin nipping or even death is high

GetItSahn said:

If you mean siamese fighting fish or bettas...then most people would say no. There are cases where bettas and guppies coexist but the chance of fin nipping or even death is high

But what if Guppies were not present in my tank? As I have no problem removing them for the fish I have an interest in.

nathansimpson said:

But what if Guppies were not present in my tank? As I have no problem removing them for the fish I have an interest in.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/303212-can-discus-go-with-a-male-betta/
sorry mate, it seems like bettas and discus are a no go

Replies seemed a little mixed, but then again they always are.

Thanks.

What are you're tank's measurements?
Discus can exceed 6 inches in both height and length so they need a fairly big tank.
Also, forgive me if I am wrong but you seem new to fishkeeping. If this is the case then I really would not recommend discus because they are very sensitive to things such as nitrates and ph levels. Be prepared to be doing large water changes very frequently.
Lastly, discus shouldn't really be kept in pairs. It is okay to do so for breeding purposes but long term, they do much better in groups.

Personally, I think you would be better of with angels. They have a similar sort of shape/ size but are much easier to care for. Angels are also very interactive fish and will come up to the glass and beg for food when they see you, they also readily accept food from your hand.
A pair could be kept in a 200l with a pair of dwarf cichlids (rams are actually dwarf cichlids themselves) and a shoal of about 10 tetras.
Out of the tetras you mentioned, lemons or emperors would be the best. Rummynoses would also work.
Cardinals are too small IMO and will get eaten by the angel/discus.
Congos are very big tetras and will take up a large portion of your carrying capacity so i would not recommend those.
Serape as you correctly stated are notorious fin nippers so would be inappropriate.

Hope this was helpful and welcome to the forum
biggrin.png

Golden Loach can start sucking scales of other fish by the way. I had one in my tank because my local pet shop said they was fine after 2 weeks it killed my ram. And killed all my guppies 9 i watched it kill them ) when they get bigger they get aggressive

wrightt3 said:

What are you're tank's measurements?
Discus can exceed 6 inches in both height and length so they need a fairly big tank.
Also, forgive me if I am wrong but you seem new to fishkeeping. If this is the case then I really would not recommend discus because they are very sensitive to things such as nitrates and ph levels. Be prepared to be doing large water changes very frequently.
Lastly, discus shouldn't really be kept in pairs. It is okay to do so for breeding purposes but long term, they do much better in groups.

Personally, I think you would be better of with angels. They have a similar sort of shape/ size but are much easier to care for. Angels are also very interactive fish and will come up to the glass and beg for food when they see you, they also readily accept food from your hand.
A pair could be kept in a 200l with a pair of dwarf cichlids (rams are actually dwarf cichlids themselves) and a shoal of about 10 tetras.
Out of the tetras you mentioned, lemons or emperors would be the best. Rummynoses would also work.
Cardinals are too small IMO and will get eaten by the angel/discus.
Congos are very big tetras and will take up a large portion of your carrying capacity so i would not recommend those.
Serape as you correctly stated are notorious fin nippers so would be inappropriate.

Hope this was helpful and welcome to the forum
biggrin.png

Angelfish sounds like a really good idea, strongly consider what wright said

Most reactions

Back