Community Tank Compatibility Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

noobfish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Currently have a 30gal community tank containing 1 dwarf gourami, a pictus cat, and a bn. I had a polar blue parrot, but he was rehomed due to constant bullying of the gourami. I was looking at getting a pair of bolivian rams, but then came across the blue acara. Hoping those with first hand experience can speak on the nature of the blue acara and how it may fit in with the existing fish.
To be clear, if I went the acara route, it would be just one.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).
33"L x 14.5"W x 21"H
6.9pH
10.5dGH
2.8dKH

Originally wanted GBR's, but after about 5min of looking on here that idea was dead. I know I can't keep those water parameters. But bolivians and acaras seem feasible on the water side.

your water is fine for blue rams as long as they aren't wild caught, and most fish sold in shops are captive bred. It's not even that bad for wild caught fish.

your water is fine for blue rams as long as they aren't wild caught, and most fish sold in shops are captive bred. It's not even that bad for wild caught fish.
Just not sure for blues. Seems from the threads on here that most only last 2-6 months.

Any idea if the blue acara will work with the current tankmates? Plan to upgrade tank size in a year or so, so not worried about size when full grown. More worried about everyone getting along as I don't want to have to keep purchasing and rehoming!

The problem with the common or blue ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi is the species, there are several varieties but all have the same requirements) is temperature; it must have warmth, 28C/82F up to 30C/86F. Unless kept at these higher temperatures, it does not do well. Many other fish would have considerable difficulty at such permanent temperatures. The Bolivian Ram does not have this high heat requirement, it is fine at more "normal" tropical temperatures around 76-78F.

You mentioned wanting everyone to get along, so I will note a couple of problems. First, gourami and cichlids should not be combined, especially in this small (to the fish) a tank. These two groups are too much alike in male dominance and territory defense.

Second issue is the Pictus. This is a social shoaling fish that is predatory and as it matures it will eat small fish. Should be kept in a small group of at least 5; single fish may pine away. Tankmates should not include sedate fish like angels, discus, gourami and even cichlids as these will be pestered by the nocturnal habits of this catfish, nor nippy fish like barbs. A group of five needs at least a 4-foot long tank, as the fish will (should if healthy) reach five inches, and they do lover to swim actively.

The problem with the common or blue ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi is the species, there are several varieties but all have the same requirements) is temperature; it must have warmth, 28C/82F up to 30C/86F. Unless kept at these higher temperatures, it does not do well. Many other fish would have considerable difficulty at such permanent temperatures. The Bolivian Ram does not have this high heat requirement, it is fine at more "normal" tropical temperatures around 76-78F.

You mentioned wanting everyone to get along, so I will note a couple of problems. First, gourami and cichlids should not be combined, especially in this small (to the fish) a tank. These two groups are too much alike in male dominance and territory defense.

Second issue is the Pictus. This is a social shoaling fish that is predatory and as it matures it will eat small fish. Should be kept in a small group of at least 5; single fish may pine away. Tankmates should not include sedate fish like angels, discus, gourami and even cichlids as these will be pestered by the nocturnal habits of this catfish, nor nippy fish like barbs. A group of five needs at least a 4-foot long tank, as the fish will (should if healthy) reach five inches, and they do lover to swim actively.
The pictus is what started all this about 3 months ago. The wife let our son buy it on impulse. Pet shop told them they'd be fine with and sold them a 3.5g tank!

Going forward, if I decide to start a second tank for rams, can you have just one or do they need to be in pairs? Can you pair a gbr with a bolivian?

Going forward, if I decide to start a second tank for rams, can you have just one or do they need to be in pairs? Can you pair a gbr with a bolivian?

The Bolivian Ram works fine with just one, in a community tank. Observations in their natural habitat suggest they likely live in isolation except when spawning. I had a male Bolivian in a 5-foot 115g tank with over a hundred characins and Corydoras catfish, and he clearly "owned" the entire space, and the upper fish knew it. He lived into his ninth year which is pretty good for a fish with a normal life expectancy of four to five years.

The common/blue ram could presumably do well as a solitary fish, in a community tank if the other species can manage the higher temperature needed for this ram.

The two species should not be combined. Males are territorial, and in an aquarium each male is going to consider the entire space "his." Male/female of each species should not be kept together at all, on principle; being in the same genus they might hybridize, I don't know, and I'm not aware of any studies on this. But it is a basic premise in this hobby among responsible aquarists not to risk hybridization; especially given the environmental destruction today, maintaining pure genetic species is even more important.

As for pairs of either species, this is tricky. The fish must select their mates from the group. If they do and the pair bonds, they may stay together their whole lives, or sometimes it doesn't work out. But they should always select their mate; any two fish (male/female) may bond, but most usually not.

The Bolivian Ram works fine with just one, in a community tank. Observations in their natural habitat suggest they likely live in isolation except when spawning. I had a male Bolivian in a 5-foot 115g tank with over a hundred characins and Corydoras catfish, and he clearly "owned" the entire space, and the upper fish knew it. He lived into his ninth year which is pretty good for a fish with a normal life expectancy of four to five years.

The common/blue ram could presumably do well as a solitary fish, in a community tank if the other species can manage the higher temperature needed for this ram.

The two species should not be combined. Males are territorial, and in an aquarium each male is going to consider the entire space "his." Male/female of each species should not be kept together at all, on principle; being in the same genus they might hybridize, I don't know, and I'm not aware of any studies on this. But it is a basic premise in this hobby among responsible aquarists not to risk hybridization; especially given the environmental destruction today, maintaining pure genetic species is even more important.

As for pairs of either species, this is tricky. The fish must select their mates from the group. If they do and the pair bonds, they may stay together their whole lives, or sometimes it doesn't work out. But they should always select their mate; any two fish (male/female) may bond, but most usually not.
So how do you all get your pairs? Do you buy a group, then after a pairing remove the others? Same for getting males vs. females? Both LFS around me only have in the 1" range for rams and I definitely can't tell the difference.

So how do you all get your pairs? Do you buy a group, then after a pairing remove the others? Same for getting males vs. females? Both LFS around me only have in the 1" range for rams and I definitely can't tell the difference.

You can buy say 9-10 rams (this applies to either species) and allow them to pair up. Problem with this is that you then have a tank of unwanted fish.

I prefer to carefully observe the fish in the store tank, and I mean by standing/sitting in front of the tank without moving for 20-30 minutes. The males will be obvious; they will be challenging each other, charging forward, sometimes even poking or bumping each other. The females will be ignoring this (usually), instead picking over the substrate looking for food or something. If you see a female that is obviously close to one of the males and he does not drive her away, chances are they will bond.

EDIT. I typed this an hour or more ago, thought it had posted, obviously didn't. Here it is now.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back