Common Plec

Ob1

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have two common plecs, probably about 7/8 inches in length one of them is darker in colour and is generally active and OK. The other one tends to be lighter in colour but more aggressive. He tends to fight with the other catfish regularly - especially at feeding time! Is this normal or is he rather stressed - I do note that he is very nervous and tends to hide in his cave if anyone walks in the room.

Also is it possible to identify male or female of the catfish - they both look the same although their colouring does differ?

I really like the catfish but am perplexed with the aggressive catfish's behaviour.

change your tank around.. either it be a rock, or a hiding spot, or shift your plants around.. stir the water to make it a tad cloudy, so he thinks he's the "new guy" and should calm right down.
always have an abundance of hiding spots for that guy, and perhaps give him some treats right in his cave? i wish i could offer you more help.
best of luck to you friend. :nod:

Thanks for the response, I will look at changing the tank around and see if this helps.

:fish: Just from my own experiences, my common plecs that I've had in the past, were never aggressive towrds one another unless there was a shortage of food. When aggression occured, I did things such as Whisper has suggested....plus I stopped keeping my tank so clean. A balanced tank, in my honest opinion, is no place for a pair of common plecs. Too much competition for food. There has to be natural algae growth to go along with the store bought food supply.

Good luck! :drink:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back