Color Rating for Cherry Shrimp?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alexandriel

Reaction score
Hello! I just got a handful of cherry shrimp from a friend, and I plan to reach out to the local pet store to see if they will give me any in store credit for all the shrimp babies once these guys start reproducing. They are all a nice solid red (in my rather uneducated opinion), but I was wondering if anybody could give me a better answer so that I can market them as a specific type (Bloody Mary, Sakura, Painted Fire Red, etc...?) I really don't know enough to tell the difference, and the person I got them from just bought them as cherry shrimp.

Here are some pics of the only one that isn't camera shy! The rest are all pretty much the same vibrant red as her/him.

20191031_020248.jpg
20191031_020232.jpg
20191031_020217.jpg
20191031_020203.jpg

I don’t know about the colour names. This one is female and is a good solid colour. The males are lighter and usually have more transparent colour. Do you have males? They will look shallower between the chest and tail.

If they were bought as just cherry shrimps, you can't sell the offspring as anything else. People wanting to buy one of the named varieties will want to know that's exactly that they are getting and you won't be able to say what they are with any guarantee.

I have some cherry shrimps which are a solid deep red; I have others which are quite pale, both males and females. You can't know exactly what any future shrimps will look like.

I don’t know about the colour names. This one is female and is a good solid colour. The males are lighter and usually have more transparent colour. Do you have males? They will look shallower between the chest and tail.

Based on that, I probably have one more female and three males. There are four other shrimp as well, but they are all tiny babies still. If I got other colors, and they interbred, would I get offspring of both colors or would I just muddy up the colors?

Interbreeding any of the red varieties of cherry shrimp will produce red offspring of varying degrees of redness. Breeding different colours of cherry shrimps will result in brown shrimps.

Interbreeding any of the red varieties of cherry shrimp will produce red offspring of varying degrees of redness. Breeding different colours of cherry shrimps will result in brown shrimps.

Thank you! So if I wanted other colors, I would need a separate tank for them.

Essjay Took my thought. Lol! You won’t know until you start producing offspring just what you have. It all depends on what the parents carry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back