For a very long time, I've bin collecting my own Daphnia with a large net, courtesy of my wife's silk stockings, but as a rule did not really want to get me feet very wet......
Went out the other weekend (on a hot day) & decided to go waist deep...... What a revelation!!!!.... I did not have any boatman or dragonfly larvae in my collection & could freeze the excess "as it is".... with good quality, solid exclusive daphnia in the net that needed no sorting or sifting.
My conclussion is that daphnia also swims in the deeper waters and not exclusively around the edges where they are observed.
Went out the other weekend (on a hot day) & decided to go waist deep...... What a revelation!!!!.... I did not have any boatman or dragonfly larvae in my collection & could freeze the excess "as it is".... with good quality, solid exclusive daphnia in the net that needed no sorting or sifting.
My conclussion is that daphnia also swims in the deeper waters and not exclusively around the edges where they are observed.







