My not so great weekend or a fish nightmare

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Friday I was taking care of my wife who just had leg surgery and had been released from the hospital Wednesday and needs help getting around the house when I discover my 55 gallon tetra tank is leaking again.:( This time 15-20 gallons of water sprayed on my couch and carpeted living room floor. Major mess.:crazy: I turned off the power, drained the tank water into 2 plastic bins down to the level where it would stopped leaking (little more than 6 inches) Set up air stones to aerate the remaining water in the tank. Spent the rest of the day when not helping my poor wife :wub:using towels to soak up the water (no shop vac available) left windows open and fan on all night to try and dry out the room. Saturday I worked on wet floor and couch again then removed all the plants and items from the leaking tank and placed them into the plastic bins with tank water. Drained the tank's water down to 3 inches and using two nets removed the 48 tetras and placed them into a bucket with an air stone.:fish: Vacuumed the rest of the water out. Took out the sand in buckets and then wash the sand thoroughly. Washed out the old leaking tank with a hose and placed it in basement after it dried. Ran to petco and bought a new 55 gallon tank (my dream of a 75 gallon tank went up in smoke):byebye:. I then set up a 10 gallon tank for my fish with heater and aerator and place my fish in there with all my anacharis to help prevent ammonia buildup. Checked over tank stand for water damage and did minor repairs. Continued to try and dry out living room. Sunday fed my poor tetra live larvae and did a WC on their 10 gallon tank. Continued vacuuming and drying the carpet again. Floor is finally feeling somewhat dry. Did WC on my other two fish tanks. Wife needs continuous assistance so I have been running back and forth. So far all my fish seem to be doing alright, not sure about myself :dunno:

Friday I was taking care of my wife who just had leg surgery and had been released from the hospital Wednesday and needs help getting around the house when I discover my 55 gallon tetra tank is leaking again.:( This time 15-20 gallons of water sprayed on my couch and carpeted living room floor. Major mess.:crazy: I turned off the power, drained the tank water into 2 plastic bins down to the level where it would stopped leaking (little more than 6 inches) Set up air stones to aerate the remaining water in the tank. Spent the rest of the day when not helping my poor wife :wub:using towels to soak up the water (no shop vac available) left windows open and fan on all night to try and dry out the room. Saturday I worked on wet floor and couch again then removed all the plants and items from the leaking tank and placed them into the plastic bins with tank water. Drained the tank's water down to 3 inches and using two nets removed the 48 tetras and placed them into a bucket with an air stone.:fish: Vacuumed the rest of the water out. Took out the sand in buckets and then wash the sand thoroughly. Washed out the old leaking tank with a hose and placed it in basement after it dried. Ran to petco and bought a new 55 gallon tank (my dream of a 75 gallon tank went up in smoke):byebye:. I then set up a 10 gallon tank for my fish with heater and aerator and place my fish in there with all my anacharis to help prevent ammonia buildup. Checked over tank stand for water damage and did minor repairs. Continued to try and dry out living room. Sunday fed my poor tetra live larvae and did a WC on their 10 gallon tank. Continued vacuuming and drying the carpet again. Floor is finally feeling somewhat dry. Did WC on my other two fish tanks. Wife needs continuous assistance so I have been running back and forth. So far all my fish seem to be doing alright, not sure about myself :dunno:
Wow, I'm impressed!
You handled all that a true Viking!
You have a very lucky wife and many very lucky fish.

:banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1:
These are kinda Viking-ish due to the swords and all...

Oh, God love you. The younger ones don’t understand yet but I know just how hard that is on us older gang. Is the new tank cycling yet? I changed my 29G over to sand and that was enough work. You had your wife and a mess to handle on top of the tanks. Waiting for my tank to finish cycling then my fish will go back home. I was surprised it has taken 2 days to cycle but I did start with new sand and had moved one of the filters over with fish to temporary tank. I hope yours goes quickly and easily. Prayers going up for both you and your wife. :)

Oh, God love you. The younger ones don’t understand yet but I know just how hard that is on us older gang. Is the new tank cycling yet? I changed my 29G over to sand and that was enough work. You had your wife and a mess to handle on top of the tanks. Waiting for my tank to finish cycling then my fish will go back home. I was surprised it has taken 2 days to cycle but I did start with new sand and had moved one of the filters over with fish to temporary tank. I hope yours goes quickly and easily. Prayers going up for both you and your wife. :)
I picked up some new anacharis, I hope to do a planted cycle again. I kept the tank items in tank water so the bacteria should be good but I am trying for another planted/silent cycle. I may need to pick up more fast growing floating plants. Tonight I am letting the floor continue to dry. It did really wear me out but I knew I had to keep plugging along for my wife and fish. :banana:

Wow, I'm impressed!
You handled all that a true Viking!
You have a very lucky wife and many very lucky fish.

:banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1::banana1:
These are kinda Viking-ish due to the swords and all...
Thank you:friends:
Sit down and have a chance to rest yourself when you can! Gotta take care of yourself too and also wishing your wife a speedy recovery
Thank you, she has been positive though this whole mess even when in pain. :wub:

Last edited:
Started working again this morning set up the new tank and added sand, I am now done adding the plants and just put in the fish in. I lost a ember it was floating around in shock I think :( not sure on anymore. I put it in a small container for now. Embers are very sensitive to changes.

Attachments

• GEDC1515.JPG
    GEDC1515.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 49
  • GEDC1517.JPG
    GEDC1517.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 58
Oh my word!

I remember your previous leak difficulties - you're not having much luck with that particular tank. I hope your fish family (and your wife!) are ok now.

Sorry to hear this RV. Thats a real shame :( Sounds like your back on track somewhat now tho. Hope your wifes back on her feet soon and your fish settle in the new set up nicely :good:

Take care buddy
Thanks, I appreciate that, I just fed the fish and they seem alright except the female ember. She was very pregnant and full of eggs and I had even put plastic fry grass in the tank for her eggs. She is still alive but floating on her side.:-( All 4 of the males seem fine and are swimming in a tight shoal around the tank.

Finished the tank last night, fed the fish this morning, lost the female ember but the rest seem alright. Tank does not match the stand but I think it looks alright. The tank hoods are a little loose but sit in the openings . The new tank is an Aqueon which is made in Franklin, Wisconsin just a few hours drive south of me. :good:

Attachments

• GEDC1518.JPG
    GEDC1518.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 51
  • GEDC1519.JPG
    GEDC1519.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 50
I'm sorry about your awful weekend, what your wife is going through, and the loss of the tetra :(
But you did good, getting all of that sorted out so fast! I know it can't have been easy. Crossing fingers for you that it all goes smoothly for you from here on out, and that your wife makes a speedy recovery.

I'm sorry about your awful weekend, what your wife is going through, and the loss of the tetra :(
But you did good, getting all of that sorted out so fast! I know it can't have been easy. Crossing fingers for you that it all goes smoothly for you from here on out, and that your wife makes a speedy recovery.
Thank you, the visiting nurse came to see her today, so far so good.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back