Cold Water Fish

kathrynmuir

Reaction score
Greetings.

I've had tropical fish for several years but am interested in finding out what fish prefer water that is room temperature. I bought a tank for my daughter and I am looking for get her 2 - 3 fish (total) that don't require a heater.

Thank you!

How about a pretty school of white cloud or rosy minnows? Kids love them and they are cheap and cheerful, and much more suited to a small tank than your ubiquitous (and generally short-lived) goldfish.

Don't forget to cycle your tank, however!

Alien Anna said:
How about a pretty school of white cloud or rosy minnows? Kids love them and they are cheap and cheerful, and much more suited to a small tank than your ubiquitous (and generally short-lived) goldfish.

Don't forget to cycle your tank, however!
Cycle. Of course. :)

Is the entire minnow family ok with cold water?

Thanks again, Rachel and I really appreciate it!

For some reason all the fish I take care of even black moores, fantails and the like, needed a heater or died on me. the only fish that didn't die on me was the pure goldfish (comets). So thru experience, in my opinion, goldfish are the only fish that don't need heaters, unless I was just plain unlucky. :/

Eelzor said:
For some reason all the fish I take care of even black moores, fantails and the like, needed a heater or died on me. the only fish that didn't die on me was the pure goldfish (comets). So thru experience, in my opinion, goldfish are the only fish that don't need heaters, unless I was just plain unlucky. :/
Most likely your tank wasn't properly cycled.

Try following the link in my sig and reading my article on Avoiding New Tank Syndrome. Goldfish are pretty hardy so can often cope with high levels of ammonia or nitrite, whereas the other fish you mentioned often cannot.

Most reactions

Back