Cold Cathode Moon Light

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I used a standard 12v adaptor with an inline variable resistor (3v - 12v).
Everything fitted really nicely into my food tub:
Lighting1.jpg

Blue tubes on top, then main tube with UV tubes below
Lighting2.jpg

thats very neat.... my wire are just coiled in the gap at the back of the hood...

What does the UV look like then?

as for voltage adapter. for ease - any multi voltage one will do.

either that, or as Aquascaper says - use a variable resistor and a 12v fixed supply.

I'd like to try this. Is there anywhere in the US these can be bought locally?

hey, I have a rainbow shark and it seems to come out more when the light is off. But when i turn them on, he hides back like in my pagoda or my sunken ship. So do you think the moonlight color would be good for both? Like not too dark or too light?

I don't know if it's a scientific fact but my clown plec doesn't seem to be able to see under UV light :)
He's normally really skittish when the lights are on but as soon as the UV is on and all the other lights are off (as i've mentioned before there is plenty of light to see by) he is oblivious to me even if i put my hand on the glass by his head!

Amazing i think :D

Tank under UV light:
UV.jpg

so the UV still lights the tank? oh hold on - i'm thinking infared.

i might give that a go too :)

I find that my plec hides away from my flouro nights during the day, but as soon as it is dark and i switch them off he comes out and swims all over the place, i can see coz i have a cold-cathode light placed behind the tank - it looks great! :)

I did it!! Got my cold cathodes yesterday and had moonlighting in about 10 minutes!! It was SOOOO easy. This coming from a woman that knows nothing about electronics.

I wish I could get a good picture.....

TracyRee said:
I did it!! Got my cold cathodes yesterday and had moonlighting in about 10 minutes!! It was SOOOO easy. This coming from a woman that knows nothing about electronics.

I wish I could get a good picture.....
see - its great... make sure its not too bright though - i managed to keep our fish awake for 2 days :*)

they seem to have forgiven me now :crazy:

is 12v good enough? i plugged in one i had lying around that says 7.somin volts and was no were near good enough mind you my tank is deep

i have the same kiit with the two 12" tubes bought from ebay

apples24 said:
is 12v good enough? i plugged in one i had lying around that says 7.somin volts and was no were near good enough mind you my tank is deep

i have the same kiit with the two 12" tubes bought from ebay
do you mean you've got a 7.0v power supply?

If so - it should be fine - I run ours on the 6.5v setting so its not too bright.

i get most of my computer supplies from www.ebuyer.com I build my own computers and they are about the cheapest around and excellent quality

there blue cathode kits ( 2 x 12") are about £3.00 , don't know how much they are on ebay but these ebuyer is usually cheaper.

I used a 7 watt blue sign bulb with a standard fixture on my 65. Total cost was around $3 including the wire & plug. It's just barely enough light to see the fish, really need to let the eyes adjust for a few minutes to see anything. Don't need any transformers or power supplies.

Tolak

Can I ask how you connected the 12V power supply to the Lights .

Did you splice them ?

Thanks

JAJ

jippalbertjipp said:
Can I ask how you connected the 12V power supply to the Lights .

Did you splice them ?

Thanks

JAJ
that would work - but your supply wouldn't be useable in the future...

I've done a bodge on mine and just poked and taped the wires.

It'd be a good idea to get the opposite connector to that on the supply and solder that on the tubes supply wires. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back