Cockatoo Cichlid Eye Still Cloudy

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

FoundMoney

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I posted another topic about my cockatoos when I first got them. After about 72 hours the male had died and the female developed a bulging, cloudy eye. Despite the eye problem, after a few more days the surviving female started acting much better and was eating normally.

Two weeks has passed and although the swelling has really gone down in the eye, it is still cloudy or at least discolored. While the condition seemed to improve over the past week, for the last couple of days it seems to have remained the same. Other than the eye problem the fish seems very healthy and has a great appetite (well, actually she has developed a taste for bloodworms and will eat those with relish, while turning her nose up at other foods).

Is it possible that this is now a permanent condition or will it clear up? Should I do anything to help speed recovery or should I just continue to wait it out?

At some point I'd like to try and get another pair of cockatoos in the tank. When would it be safe to begin looking for another pair?

BTW, all water parameters are very good (0,0,5,7.2) and I do regular small water changes (17%) at least once a week.

Just keep up with water changes, that should help clear it up, do you have a spare quarantine tank, maybe buy another one and quarantine it for a while to make sure it is healthy to add to the tank, good luck.

I thought about getting a quarantine tank but I just don't have the room for it. Maybe I can figure something put as I'd love to be able to have a separate tank for newcomers and sick fish.

Most reactions

Back