CO2

pnyklr3

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have 2 medium sized amazon swords, 4 dwarf sags, and 20-50 plantlets of dwarf hairgrass (in bunches of 10-12) in my 55 gallon community tank. Do I need CO2 added to my tank? This is my frist shot at starting a planted tank. I had a 10 gallon a year ago and I didn't do a very good job of keeping my ONE plant healthy. What should I do to ensure that these plants survive and stay healthy. I really need the grasses to help raise the apisto fry I'm expecting! Thanks!

Edited to add:My lighting is only what came with the hood and the tank. I believe it to be 2 17 watt "daylight" bulbs. Does this sound right? From what I've been reading, doesn't this mean that I don't have nearly enough? Is getting better lighting as simple as changing the bulb? Also, are these bulbs available at my lfs or hardware store?

Yep. 34 watts over 55 gallons works up to about 0.6 watts per gallon, and you'd need 2.5 perhaps before the CO2 would really be a difference. Don't think bulbs would make much of a diff., unless they are of a higher wattage. 20w changed to a 40 w or something like that. You could always buy ballast kits and tubes and stuff online from http://www.ahsupply.com/ or go to home depot or something and basically start from scratch.

So does that mean that my lights are not strong enough to require me to add CO2? Will any plants thrive in this kind of light, or do I need to purchase different ones? This is all new to me, thanks for your help so far!

Yes that right, your lighting is not strong enough to require co2

Regards to plants you are quite limited as to what will survive,

if you do a search there are loads of topics on this but i would suggest

Java moss
Java Fern (normal or windelov)
Crypts

Hardess of water is over looked alot when thinking about co2. If water is hard and high PH then co2 could help even in low light. But if water is soft and lower PH then it is not really needed in your tank. But you really should look into higher watt lights or more bulbs. Then add co2.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back