Co2 System On A Budget

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

james_fish

Chuck, Leader Of Ze People.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm after a complete CO2 system for my 55 gallon tank. Now i've never used a CO2 system before. I've always used liquid carbon when attempting a planted setup.

I want to get something for no more than £120, is that being to tight with the cash? I want one that will have a solenoid, and that does not need re-filling every third week. (not doing a DIY)

So I'm open to any information on brands/models. And any other general information regarding CO2 systems.
I don't plan on keeping any particular difficult species of plants. I just want to actually have a good attempt at making a nice planted tank.

Regards, James.

you'll get a set up for about £100...

FE will cost you about £15 from your local fire people (on a 55g it should last you about 6 months ish)
Tubing a few quid
Reg and solenoid from ebay for £60 ish
bubble counter a few quid
Diffuser about £10
NRV's a few quid

jobs a good un!

have a look here for the cheaper bits.

http://www.tankscape.co.uk/

Thanks Ian!

Is it not too much messing around doing one with a FE rather than buying a kit from JBL or Fluval for example?
I'm not sure I like the idea of having a fire extinguisher in my bedroom, is it not dangerous?

James.

So long as you attach them properly they're perfectly safe. To be honest knocking over any cylinder isn't all that safe, which is why FE's are attached to the wall.

Cheers Rob, there's still something telling me to get a built branded system as opposed to an FE system

James.

FE's are quite safe, when done properly...but it's up to you mate.

I'm going to look further into it Ian, because I'm all for saving a few quid and having a system that will last a decent amount of time per canister. I know of many people on the forum who do it, so it can't be that dangerous or difficult. Think I'll just need a little guidance as to what actual product to buy (so I get half decent quality equipment) the link you sent was a massive help too,

Cheers, James.

Watching this thread very closely as im looking at exactly the same thing. Not happy with the results from my flourish excel only source of CO2. Will be interesting to see what people think of these. The only thing dodgy about that co2 supermarket shop for the valve is the person has only had 20 ratings...

I got my local pub landlord to get me a pub sized co2 bottle on his account, it cost me about £20 & is massive (33 kg). I have a solanoid valve which I got for about £40 to control the start stop time. Then I have a regulator/reducer valve for the bottle which came in at £40. Add to that the tubing & drop checker, 4DKH bromo blue liquid & diffuser then the initial set up was well over £100, but with that bottle I wont have to renew it for years.

Tom

I got my local pub landlord to get me a pub sized co2 bottle on his account, it cost me about £20 & is massive (33 kg). I have a solanoid valve which I got for about £40 to control the start stop time. Then I have a regulator/reducer valve for the bottle which came in at £40. Add to that the tubing & drop checker, 4DKH bromo blue liquid & diffuser then the initial set up was well over £100, but with that bottle I wont have to renew it for years.

Tom

33kg? Thats sounds huge!

Might actually order my FE tonight, and possibly a reg/solenoid.

james.

Just check that solenoid comes with a needle valve as you'll need one for minor adjustments.

Just check that solenoid comes with a needle valve as you'll need one for minor adjustments.
Yes it does Steve, well it say's in the description: 'The pressure can be fine-tuned using the needle valve adjustor ensuring that the quantity of CO2 released into your aquarium is suitable for your requirements' ... So that would suggest it does :good:

James.

Hi, Did you end up getting this at all. If so, how does it perform?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back