Co2 Regulator/gauge Issue?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

seantheprawn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys I recently purchased a second hand dici co2 regulator and cylinder. I got around to setting it up the other day and this is what my dials read.

Now from my (limited) understanding the dial on the left is the high pressure gauage or the amount of gas left in the tank while the dial on the right is the working pressure or amount of co2 being delivered to the solenoid.
Now the issue here is that the dial on the left should be reading about 800psi if there is liquid co2 left in the tank, however as you can see this is reading 0, while the dial on the right should be reading around 10 - 20 psi (or so I've been told) however mine seems extremely high on 80psi, this tells me that there is too much co2 going through my solenoid.

I was told that the bottle should still be half full so I should be getting a high pressure reading, and I shouldn't be getting that high of a working pressure reading.
So do you think my dials or my regulator are damaged or are these readings just telling me that my tank is empty?

Cheers,

Sean

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 131
Yes the gauge for the bottle is reading zero.  High pressure gauges are not accurate near zero.  So there may still maybe a little  some pressure left in the bottle, which would explain the 80PSI on the  output.  So it does look like the bottle is empty or close to it.  It could also be a bad gauge, but there is no way for me know by looking at the picture.

When you got the setup was the valve on the bottle fully closed  (full  clockwise)?  If not gas may have slowly leaked out before you got it.  To open the bottle rotate the valve counter clockwise.   there should also be a valve between the two gauges of the regulator. The regulator knob is used to adjust the output pressure.  The regulator knob is not an on off valve.  Some people turn off gas by setting the regulator to zero.  Setting the regulator to zero will slow but not stop the flow of gas and will slowly drain the bottle.  

the other possibility is that there is a leak somewhere in the setup.  Soapy  water can be used to find leaks.  Brush the soapy water onto the fittings and look for bubbles.  No bubbles means no leaks or you are out of gas.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back