mdwheeler

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My co2 batches seem to produce NO co2 AT ALL:

2c suger
1pack yeast
water (enough to dissolve suger)

all in a 2 liter.

I know there isn't a leak anywhere, but even with a bubble counter they seem to be failure factories.

Anybody got some better ones?

ALso wouldn't using like a bottle of carbonated water work just fine? They contain co2 gas...i think...

My plants are starting to sag abit :unsure: so anything that works helps!!!!!

mine was

2 cups of sugar
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp baking soda (stops the white froth)

also marmite keeps it going longer apparently

fill bottle with 3/4 30C water

I used
2 cups sugar (460ml),
1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 tsp baking soda

and has been going for 4 days now, perfectly.
Also use tank water rather than tap water, apparently helps the process along (firstly because its warm and secondly something to do with ammonia)

Seems to be working great for me :)

Oh, and fill it to about 3 inches before the top.

Andy

Thanks all!

Also whats marmite???

I'll also try tank water instead. Luckily my ammonia is zero (it had been four for litterally 1 1/2 months!!!

ALSO would the co2 tabs you use in the nutrafin system work?

I have control over the outflow (i've got three bottles attached to a gang valve).

You use co2 tabs in the nutrafin system? IV got it and its all power, i used the DIY mix but it got on my nerves. Pressurized here i come.

Marmite is brown stuff made from yeast extract im guessing youre not from the UK :p

So I totally wasted a bunch of co2 :grr:

I took the bottles off the *system* and when I got to a bottle that had been closed for, oh, say 3 days.....it definitely had co2....... :shifty:

Also whats a good bubble rate? 1 every 15 seconds? I have no clue....

I've just got my DIY CO2 system up and running. Used a 2l coke bottle and filled it with 1 teaspoon of yeast and two cups of sugar, filling with water to the top of the label. It feeds through a diffuser. My bubble rate seems to be about one every two seconds. Through the diffuser this is a constant stream of tiny bubbles. Too early to gauge results yet.

Yeah i get about the same as bigpee, one big bubble every 2 seconds but when connected to my filter i just get a jet of tiny bubbles once every second.

I've got my system up and running. I think it's a bubble a second, but I know for a fact I have a continual jet of super fine bubbles (almost like dust) coming out of my little diy diffuser thing. Took forever to get it right! Its a high pressure system though! If I open the valve too quickly the powerhead is filled with air and takes a while to restart!

Also If I were to set up a sump system, would I need to have two co2 outlets: one for each tank??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back