Clown loaches breeding?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Kazzaye

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi everyone
Over the past month Iā€™ve seen a total personality change in my 4 loaches ( water parameters are fine). I have 2 houses ( round cut off pipe things) that they love. I have 3 males and a female. They would be around 12 maybe 14 years old. They donā€™t seem to be eating but r still fat . There appears to be 3 stuck in the pipe and 1 who spends his day trying to get in there. They used to be around and about all the time

image.jpg

First question is, how are you discerning male/female? Second question, do you know their ages because you have had these four for 12 years? Have they been together all that time or united more recently?

If you do have one male and three females, it is possible the three in the PVC are the females attempting to escape the advances (spawning or dominance) of the male. Same could hold if the three are males for that matter, though it would be clearly dominance then.

The botid loaches are very highly social fish, remarkably so for fish, and they will establish an hierarchy or pecking order. Normally this will work itself out if there are five or more, though there are always exceptions.

Whatever the above, this could be a serious issue if there is some degree of hierarchy playing out in which case the harassed loach/loaches will be more and more stressed and likely to the possible point of death.

Thanks Byron
Iā€™m discerning male and female by size and colouration. The males are brighter and bigger , the female stripping is less vibrant. .....thatā€™s what I thought anyway. These fish have always been together which is why Iā€™m puzzled. Right now there are 2 in each tube

Female loaches are normally bigger and fatter than males, which are smaller and slimmer.

Colour on loaches is not a good indication of sex.

Thanks Byron
Iā€™m discerning male and female by size and colouration. The males are brighter and bigger , the female stripping is less vibrant. .....thatā€™s what I thought anyway. These fish have always been together which is why Iā€™m puzzled. Right now there are 2 in each tube

Sexual dimorphism is not apparent until spawning season wherein females are often perceived to be taller and rounder in body shape comparative to the males; theories about differences in the caudal fin lobes are inconclusive. Clown loaches do not reach sexual maturity for several years, and reports of successful spawnings in aquaria are infrequent. The fact that the species is a migratory spawner may account for this. These loaches live in the larger river channels and move upstream into smaller streams to spawn during the start of the rainy season in September; the rains cause a significant change to the water parameters and this may trigger the fish into spawning.

The above is from a profile of the species I authored and may be informative. If these four have been together for 12 years, I would not worry. The alpha fish within a group is usually a female, though not always.

Edit. Colin posted as I was typing, and I concur. "Greying out" is common with most if not all botid loaches as part of the social interaction.

greying out is where the colour fades and the fish appears duller than normal.

fish change colour depending on the time of day, how they feel, if it's feeding time, or for any number of reasons. If they are happy and showing off they are usually brighter coloured. If they are stressed, tired or just feeling grumpy, they will be duller in colour.

I concur with Colin generally, but as loaches were the fish here I just want to make sure you (Kaszzaye) understand that this "greying out" is a very good thing when it comes to loaches because it is part of their inherent normal social interaction. Loaches really are incredibly social fish, as an excerpt from Seriously Fish I will cite below indicates. Fish losing colour/pattern is often due to serious stress issues, and that can apply to loaches too, but with what you initially described I am more inclined to consider it the "loach dance" grey-out.

The following is a lengthy but instructive summary for Botia almorhae but it applies basically to opther botid loaches and the Clown Loach.

Some behavioural routines exhibited by Botia spp. have been recorded often enough that theyā€™ve been assigned non-scientific terms for ease of reference.

For example during dominance battles (these occur most frequently when the fish have been introduced to a new tank, or new individuals added to an existing group) the protagonists normally lose much of their body patterning and colouration, a phenomenon thatā€™s come to be known as ā€˜greying outā€™. Such displays will sometimes also happen within an established group as individuals seek to improve social ranking but are usually nothing to worry about.

Interestingly some observations suggest that the character of the highest-ranked, or alpha, fish appears to affect that of the whole group though it must be said that scientific studies of botiid loach behaviour are virtually non-existent. It certainly seems that they display a degree of ā€˜personalityā€™ with some specimens being naturally bolder or more aggressive than others, for example. The alpha is normally the largest specimen within the group and often female.

ā€˜Shadowingā€™ is an interesting behaviour in which younger individuals swim flank-to-flank with older, mimicking their every movement. Some keepers report that more than one smaller fish may shadow a larger simultaneously, with even three or four on each side! The reason for it is unknown; it may relate to a group staying in touch with one another when rivers swell during times of flooding, perhaps reducing drag by swimming ā€˜in formationā€™ or having some other communicative function. Itā€™s been observed in aquaria with both high and low water flow and seems to be habitual to the extent whereby some individuals will shadow other fishes if no conspecifics are present.

Sound also appears to be an important factor in communication since these loaches are able to produce audible clicking sounds, these increasing in volume when the fish are excited. The behavioural aspects of this phenomenon remain largely unstudied but the sounds are thought to be produced by grinding of the pharyngeal (throat) teeth or subocular spines.

A further curiosity is the so-called ā€˜loachy danceā€™ which involves an entire group swimming in a constant, restless fashion around the sides of the tank, usually utilising the full length and height. The reasons for this are unknown and reports as to when it occurs vary but the most common triggers appear to be the addition of food, fresh water or new conspecifics, and it can last anything from a few minutes to a day or more.​

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back