Cloudy Fish Tank, Again!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

arielsworld17974

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just recently got a new fish tank. I've had it for about 2 weeks now. At first after a couple of days the water went really cloudy. So I started adding stability and it cleared up really fast. Was clear for about a week and now it's cloudy again! Could it be that I've added new food? Went from just flakes to some brine shrimp and blood worms.

Fish I have currently in tank:
2 angelfish about half dollar size
1 gourami
1 red tip shark
2 algae eaters (I think they're chinese)

None of the fish seem to be having a hard time. In fact they all seem very happy. Should I just do a a water change and vacuum the rocks? Please help! I'm obsessed with my tank and it's my new found hobby. I want the best for my little guys!
Thanks!

I can post pictures if need be.

it sounds like a bacterial bloom ... does it look like you've dripped milk into the tank? If so then it probably is a bacterial bloom.

They're easy fixed ... plenty large of water changes until it goes away 

welcomeani.gif
to the forum.

I agree with Akasha, it does sound like a bacterial bloom, which are very common in new set ups. These aren't usually harmful to the fish, although in extreme cases they can stare the fish of oxygen. They are best cleared up though, and a few large water changes usually do sort it out.

Your tank is very new; was it cycled before you added fish at all? Have you tested the water or done any water changes since the fish went in?

Can I ask how big your tank is? You have a lot of potentially large and semi aggressive fish and, if your tank is too small, you could have some problems in the near future.

Sorry for all the questions, but the more information we have, the better we can work out what's going on
smile.png

water changes to clear- maybe daily 25% until it clears.

reduce feeding.

vacuum the tank well.

check that the filter media is not clogged/overly dirty- clean it if it is.

i think you overfeeding. lots of food can stains water & also white 'bumps' can appear on your glass.

Thanks so much for the tips! Changed to a 55 gall on tank a couple days ago and it cleared up so fast. My tank is gorgeous and my fish are doing so great! I will continue using stability and doing weekly water changes and vacuums :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back