Cleft palate??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SwagmasterGengar

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm pretty new here, and to fishkeeping in general (ik I'm not the best at it quite yet) but I have a question. Is it possible for fish, specifically Plecos, to have a cleft palate? I've noticed that my boy Bartleby's lip tends to lift to one side if he's laying on the bottom of the tank, and when he's up on the glass, one side of his lip looks different and you can see where his teeth thin out as well.
He's in a 65 gal, water is gucci, and his only tank mates are a handful of mollys that keep to themselves. He's been being fed algae wafers and shrimp pellets, with slices of cucumber and such here and there. It also might be important to add that I bought him from Walmart as a baby, so if it is a birth defect or some such I really wouldn't be surprised, they weren't exactly known for quality care. Also I can't get him a bigger tank simply bc I don't have the room or money, but I do plan on doing so once I'm able. Thanks in advance! 🥰🥰

Attachments

• Snapchat-2048833307.jpg
    Snapchat-2048833307.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Snapchat-407275907.jpg
    Snapchat-407275907.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20200820_143141.jpg
    IMG_20200820_143141.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Snapchat-1564120896.jpg
    Snapchat-1564120896.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Snapchat-240810610.jpg
    Snapchat-240810610.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 81
Hm, could be! I've never noticed it in any other plecs before, but it's possible? It does look like it, though I'm not sure if cleft palates specifically are a possibility.
Honestly I've kind of been wondering that for a year ish, I just don't really have a vet nearby that can look at him (and catching him???? Oof.) And it doesn't keep him from eating or anything, so I don't think it's a major issue, just something odd I noticed.

Honestly I've kind of been wondering that for a year ish, I just don't really have a vet nearby that can look at him (and catching him???? Oof.) And it doesn't keep him from eating or anything, so I don't think it's a major issue, just something odd I noticed.
Yeah, I doubt it's anything that's troubling him. Usually when something is inhibiting or directly causing a fish pain, they'll just drop dead within a couple weeks. If he seems fine, I'm sure he is!

Yeah, I doubt it's anything that's troubling him. Usually when something is inhibiting or directly causing a fish pain, they'll just drop dead within a couple weeks. If he seems fine, I'm sure he is!
Very true, thank you! I've just never seen a place with a mouth like that so I wasn't sure, but it's been like that since he was little.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back