Clear. thin stringy poop

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Elisabeth83

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Lots of you know about the problems I've been having with my mollies. At the moment I am treating them for a disease called The Shimmies.

I noticed today that the 2 thinest mollies have clear,thin stringy poop. Is that only a sign of internal parasites of can it be a sign of another disease? I am starting to question if I am doing the right treatment. Or maybe they have The Shimmies and internal parasites?

I noticed that they really arn't eating. They take the food in their mouth but spit it back out and wont swallow. They used to eat like crazy.

Should I finish the treatment for The Shimmies and then start treatment for internal parasites??? :dunno:

Does there anus look red and inflamed.

nope not red or inflamed...

I just saw the thinnest of the 2 poop a piece or brown poop now. :/

Probably because they haven't been eating, are they eating now.

they have clear stringy poop because they haven't been eating?

Well they dont really seem to be eating... not compared to how they used to eat. From what I saw today they take the food in but spit it all back out and swim away. They do peck at the wafers I throw in and they were pecking at the pea I threw in today.

They are getting thinner and thinner...

so if they do poop out normal brown poop...theres no way its internal parasites? Or just because they have internal parasites it doesnt mean they will always have clear poop?

I've been trying to read up on internal parasites but no where have I found yes if they have internal parasites the poop will always be clear and stringy or no if they have internal parasites there poop can sometimes be normal and brown.

So I'm confused :/

You can test the poo for internal parasites, if you really think they have them then medicate, but if they are not eating it isn't a good sign, good luck.

One of my goldfish had clear, stringy poop and was losing weight so I treated for parasites and he has normal BMs now. However, I also have a goldfish with a deformed jaw who has trouble eating enough food, so he ends up passing stringy, clear poop every now and then. So, really the not eating or the parasites could be a problem.

I would see if the med for the Shimmies is compatible with an anti-parasite med, and just treat it. If they aren't eating and may pass away anyways, why not give it a shot?

Well I noticed today that the fish are eating. I sat and watched for awhile after I fed them.

So if they do have internal parasites (worms) will their anus always be red?? I've been looking at pictures of fish with round worms and their anus is very red and protrudes.

What other diseases are there that the fish looses lots of weight yet they still eat???

I've been reading and reading and am at a loss...

I thought maybe it was The Shimmies and maybe it is..I'm not done with treatment yet but I haven't seen any progress.

Whatever this disease is it seems to affect their muscles....

After you have treated for shimmies, do a water change add carbon then medicate for internal parasites, good luck.

yeah I guess I'll treat for internal parasites after...

I contacted the waterlife people...thats the medications I'm using. They've helped me out in the past...I just hope they can tell me what they think is going on... :rolleyes:

I have internal parasites now, looks like I will be striping the tank down, hope yours don't have it, that will teach me not to quarantine new fish when I have a tank.

why do you have to strip down the whole tank? Doesnt meds take care of internal parasites??

Now I'm worried :unsure:

Spreads to all fish like wild fire, no meds in the UK using cat worming tablets but not holding out much hope.

Most reactions

Back