Cleaning Silk Plants

Phaedra

Fishaholic
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Messages
570
Reaction score
0
Points
16
So I'm noticing my silk plants in the 10g are starting to get covered with some sort of brown algae looking stuff, very yucky looking.
Question is, how do I clean it off? Can I immerse them in hot water, or is that a bad idea due to the metals in the hot water heater? I don't even know if hot water will get it off, but I thought I'd ask you more experienced fish keepers for your techniques before I try anything. :D
 
Washing in hot water is ok. You could soak them in a dilute bleach solution. Rinse well then soak in cold water with declorinator added. I find my apple snails keep most of the silks clean' if I don't feed them for two days they go in search of algea.
 
If you use bleach, make sure it is VERY dilute. 19:1 is generally the recommended mix. Also, make sure you rinse the plants off very well afterwards; bleach + fish = bad stuff.

If the algae is just simple brown algae you shouldn't need anything more than hot water, your fingers, and maybe a soft toothbrush. Just be sure you take the plants out of the tank and add them to the hot water, rather than adding the hot water to the tank! :lol:
 
So I'm noticing my silk plants in the 10g are starting to get covered with some sort of brown algae looking stuff, very yucky looking.
Question is, how do I clean it off? Can I immerse them in hot water, or is that a bad idea due to the metals in the hot water heater? I don't even know if hot water will get it off, but I thought I'd ask you more experienced fish keepers for your techniques before I try anything. :D

When I use to have silk plants i would clean them in hot water real good then for sanitation reasons ( just to be safe) I would boil some water in a pot and dip them in the water for about 4 or 5 seconds to get any thing off them that could be harmful to fish. I got tired of always cleaning them lol so i now use real plants I actually like them better and there better for the fish environment.
 
Thanks everyone!


I have a mystery snail and an amano shrimp, but I think it's time to take matters into my own hands.
I think I'm going to use hot water and good old fashioned elbow grease in lieu of bleach, I'm paranoid enough as it is. I would probably worry for a week after washing the plants in any amount of bleach. :lol:

"jesseoneill" said:
Just be sure you take the plants out of the tank and add them to the hot water, rather than adding the hot water to the tank! :lol:

ROFL! :rofl:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top