Cleaning My Tank.

kevinthecow

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
657
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Another method? If I were to do a 50% water change, how would I keep it so my temperature stays the same?

Also, is there a better way of getting water into my tank? I have a mini water/gravel cleaner. I can get the water out, but how do I get the water back in? I use like a HUUUUGE barrel that fills up my tank in about 4 - 6 pours. Tiring + Time consuming. I usually run upstairs to get the water from the bathtub.

Anyway thats easier to clean it that's not tiring? The pythons at my lfs are too short. (off by one meter,)

Other methods? Please and thanks.
 
Temperature matching can just be done by hand - get it close enough and it's ok. With smaller water changes (20-30%), even bigger differences get evened out.

For getting water into the tank, what length pythons are at your LFS? You could try online for a longer model. My LFS only carries models up to 15 feet, but I know they do come bigger.
 
Go to your local hardware store and buy some clear plastic tubing/ hose that is the same diameter as the Python hose. Then use a plastic hose joiner to join the Python with the new bit of extension hose.

I fill up a plastic rubbish bin (only used for the fish, except on Xmas when drunk relatives chuck rubbish in it coz they can't read) with water and add conditioner, heater, airstone, etc, then leave it to bubble away overnight. The following day I put a water pump (Aquaclear 800 powerhead) in the bin. It has a hose attached to it and I put the hose in the tank and turn the pump on. The powerhead pumps the water from the bin into the tank.
You don't have to make the water up the day before but I do because we have lots of problems with our water supply killing fish when it is used straight out of the tap, (even with dechlorinator).
 
They selll 7M long. I need a 10M (rough estimate)

I can't order online. Im only twelve with catious parents. :D
 
I dont bother to match temp's. It hasnt killed my fish yet. I just mix hot and cold, keeps it warm without killing them, and itsnt freezing cold eiter. If you want to get water from point A to point B without a bucket, get a python. I still use a bucket.
 
Thanks. Might I ask how big your bucket is? And also, I'm not good when it comes to taking risks like that. :/ My fish don't get stressed since they know the process now but back then when I did my water changes w/o taking out my fish, the temperature use to kill my fish. (Quick temperature changes, no acclimatization.
 
Its a 5 gallon bucket. I only fill it up with 4 gallons as there is a hole at the top and the water can spill out. I have angels and they dont have a problem with it. I mean, i keepp it at a safe temp, and they dont seem to be botherd by it.
 
Ah, okay thanks mate. :) Mine is a little over 5 g. I fill it up to 3-4 usually. :)

Okay, tomorrow morning, one full water change! (Freaken massive murky water. People said its safe and I do believe them, but it's very annoying. My Yellow Gourami has overcome his fear of competition for food but my frogs hide alot now, and they're less active. My weather loaches are lazy now and my BST and Bala Shark are sticking together more often :D)
 
Okay, tomorrow morning, one full water change! (Freaken massive murky water. People said its safe and I do believe them, but it's very annoying.
If you plan on doing a complete water change, ie: drain the tank completely and then refill it, I would advise against it, especially if you are refilling the tank with tap water. If you make up the water a day before and have it dechlorinated and the same temperature, then you can do a 90% water change without too many worries. But if you do a 90+% water change and fill the tank with tap water, you will probably kill the fish and filter bacteria.
The water should be free of chlorine before it goes into the tank with the fish otherwise the chlorine can damage their gills. If you do a small water change, say 20%, then the amount of chlorine in the tap water is diluted by the old tank water and it doesn't do as much damage to the fish. But if you do a big water change then you risk chlorinating the fish. Even if you add dechlorinator straight after filling the tank it could be too late. The chlorine damages the fish's gills as soon as it comes in contact with them. The only way to guarantee this doesn't happen, is to use water that is free of chlorine before it goes in the tank.
Don't do a big water change unless you absolutely have to, ie: the ammonia levels are 5ppm or something crazy like that. Smaller more frequent water changes are better for the fish.
 
Q/h for now bud. ;) I'm going to leave it for a day (the tank) w/ filter/heater going.

Good idea? :D
 
I recently did a 100% water change in a 100 gallon tank because I had to move a tank without barrels to save any water. I added the hose water and dechlorinator incrementally as the tank filled up. By the time the tank was completely filled I was hoping the chlorine had minimal affect on the substrate. To get the temperature correct I added 5 gallons buckets of hot water to regulate the temp. So far I haven't lost any fish. This could be luck or these fish are very hardy.
 
If doing a small 10%-ish water change just to keep nitrates down then I simply use a 1 gallon bucket (3 or 4 times!).

Run tap water onto dechlorinator (already in bucket), and let it stand for 5 mins for the dechlorinator to take the worst off, then place the bucket on-top of the tank corner (strongest bit of the hood). I put a narrow hose into the bucket (airline hosing) and then allow the water to siphon out while I make dinner.

The water trickles out so slowly that any temperature change is minimised as the heater in my tank seems to keep up with the added cold. + the dechlorinator gets added time to work in the bucket.

When the bucket is empty, refill with water & dechlorinator mix, and repeat procedure until tank is re-filled.
 
-----OH forgot to say....

Carefull with that hot water!!!!

Hot water from a kettle will had had all the gasses boiled out of it, and will have had any carbonates (eg calcium) removed - Thats why we get limescale in our kettles in hard water areas. - so if adding this in any quantity, be sure to airate the tank!

Hot water from a tap can have been exposed to many nasties. Most boilers have thin copper pipes, through which the water runs and becomes hot. This can dissolve copper into the water (bad for invertebrates/shrimps/snails). Plus hot water is generally stored in hot water tanks in the loft... These tanks can get really filthy inside, and allow plastics etc to be dissolved into the water.

Put it this way - you wouldnt make a cup of tea with water from the hot tap.

Best off using mains cold tap water.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top