Cleaning Glass

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
6,367
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
GB
Anyone with kids will know what I am on about lol. Sticky fingerprints on the glass! its driving me nuts, I spent ages last night cleaning off all the fingerprints, but this morning they look just as bad again after the kids have said good morning to all the fish. Hands on the glass faces pressed against the glass kiss marks where they have kissed their favorite fish!

I use a bit of washing up liquid on a damp cloth then buff it off. I was wondering what sort of stuff they using in aquatic centres (like the sealife centre) as they dont seem to have sticky finger marks like I do and they have loads more kids visiting?

My hubby says I cannot make the kids wear gloves all day :rolleyes:
 
i use glass cleaner but do not spray it on the glass !!! Best to do when lights are off as fish can get a bit skittish! I leave the room spray it on some kitchen roll then go back and wipe on glass then buff it up ...I've got a 4 year old so normally end up doing it once a week when i do my water changes !

Good luck!
 
Why wouldn't you spray it on the glass? If you have the hood shut the chemicals won't hit the water or anything.
 
yep, they float in the air so to speak......i have 2 kids....and lots of ### fingerprints, i tend to buff it with a polish cloth tho, works a treat
 
I wouldnt risk chemicals either just not worth the risk.
 
Normal glass cleaner's fine, just do as has been said, spray on the cloth, not on the glass.
 
I use a drop of vinegar, I use this on my windows aswell then use a bit of newspaper to dry off. Nice shiny streak free glass. :good:
 
Any acid e.g. acetic (vinegar), citric (citrus fruits) works well and microfibre cloth e.g. polishing cloth can be substituted with newspaper.
 
Tell the kids not to touch the tanks, works for mine, he wouldnt dream of putting his fingers all over them.

When I do clean the glass, usually after Ive dripped water down the sides, I use normal furniture polish on a duster.
 
Even well diluted ammonia will do the job. Just don't spray any of these products anywhere near the tank. The fine mist that gets into the air could get in and change the water chemistry. Even plain water will do the trick if you keep up with the fingerprints.
 
"Mists" from all sorts of aerosols could get into your tank in that case.

You may as well set up a "safe zone". Come on! These tanks are home aquariums, where deodorants, air fresheners, polish etc are used near tanks. I understand taking precaution but there's a limit to what can be done. I use polish to clean the glass (spray it on, as the last job when the hood is closed) but I don't go spraying it all over the place.

Is the water chemistry that precarious in our set ups?
 
You are half right Andy. Mists from all sorts of things can and do get into your tanks unless you set up an area around the tank that you do not use aerosols in. That does not make the problem any less real, it just means that cleaning the tank glass is not the only time you need to consider what you are doing to your fish.
 
all i do is wet my hand and rub the glass just to mke it wet and then buff up with a microfibre cloth and not a mark is left microfibre clothes are genius lol i dont use any chemicals or anything just water and it sparkles
 
Is the water chemistry that precarious in our set ups?

Depends on the size of tank and frequency of water changes and exposure to foreign chemicals. One possible result is ozone (O3) creation above the tank which is toxic to the majority of life as it enters the blood stream instead of O2 but does not release leading to oxygen starvation similar to carbon monoxide poisoning. Might seem completely unrealistic but ozone is frequently formed at surface level due to our emmisions if you went and got your blood tested today I would bet my bottom dollar you have mild ozone poisoning if your living in an urban area.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top