Cleaning Glass

if its available from your shop you should get mr.muscle window and glass cleaner it works for me good luck, maybe tell the kids to wash their hands before they touch the tank in the morning so that when the touch the tank its all clean and no stickness
 
Thanks everyone, I have never tried vinigar?? may give it a go. Micro cloths? are they the blue checkered ones? (has normal dishcloths lol). My boys just adore the fish so much, they have their own tanks in their bedroom. They love putting their hands and fingers on the glass because all the fish gather round their hands, they think its better than tv lol
 
Micro-fibre cloths are what you get to clean sunglasses and virtually any clear surface. Newspaper works as a good substitute
 
Jumping on this subject
I have attempted to clean my tank with glass cleaner but some stubborn marks (look like water marks) remain despite alot of elbow grease
any advice appreciated
 
WD-40 squirt on the cloth not the tank, then wash with slighty soapy water and some isopropyl alcohol if you have any lying around.
 
I've always used 'Mr. Muscles' window cleaner (green liquid in a spray bottle). I hold the bottle about halfway up the glass then spray downwards - the cloth is wet enough to clean the top half of the glass. Never had any problems.
 
isopropyl alcohol is a widely used solvent which evaporates rapidly altho the fumes are propene so don't have any flames around when you use it. You can get it from B&Q I would imagine, I am chemist and have only used it in the lab so don't know of any more commen names except it may be acetone. I would be very surprised if a cleaning solution for glassware did not contain isopropyl alcohol so check the label. It will prevent residue from the water after clearing the wd-40 up and should help to remove any excess oil. Forgot to add the water should be slightly soapy as this will break down the majority of the wd-40 after cleaning.

wd-40 is a god send from the space race it was invented to stop moisture when building the space shuttles forming within connections, since then it has been found to have 101 uses. Its especially good if you drip paint on to a wall and you only want to remove the fresher paint as it leaves no mark and birdpoo on your car wd-40 lifts it instantly.
 
Jumping on this subject
I have attempted to clean my tank with glass cleaner but some stubborn marks (look like water marks) remain despite alot of elbow grease
any advice appreciated

That's limescale, and the best thing to clear this is light acid, vinegar or lemon juice etc.
 
I use Stoners Invisible Glass, it's a an automotive product that does exactly what it says on the bottle. Pricey at £9 a bottle but works wonders on all glass & mirrors, leaves a completely flawless finish. Once I'd tried it I could never go back to Windowlene or Mr Muscle.
 

I get Isopropyl from an old fashioned chemists :good: dead cheap and has lots of uses too!

Anyone wanting this stuff I would advise not to buy off ebay or at least if you do read any small print very carefully - you might get a call off the 'anti terror' police :rolleyes: :angry: And that is no joke!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top