Cleaning Dormant Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

goin_all_out

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have a 2.5 gallon tank sitting around in my basement that needs a cleaning. it has been "out of water" for around a year. had previously been a Betta tank the got a horrible BGA outbreak. but I'm now planning out a 2.5 cherry or blue Taiwan shrimp planted set up and want to make sure this tank is extremely clean. anyone have any ideas for cleaning and sanitizing it for the eventual process of resetting up this tank?

Use bleach and water at a 1:20 part ratio. If it has any lime or calcium marks on it use vinegar. Rinse it very well when you are done. Fill it up with water and add a lot of dechlorinator let it sit for a little, then dump it out rinse it again and you are ready to go.

yeah you get the cheap thin bleach with no fragrances or anything like that in it, mix it up at a ratio of 1 part bleach to 20 parts water, fill the tank with that and leave it to soak a bit, then scrub the hell out of it. then rinse it, rinse it, rinse it as many times as you can manage (like easily 5+ times), then leave it to completely dry out, fill it up with dechlorinated water, cycle the filter and away you go!

part of the plan is to seed the fitler with my already un filtered betta 2.5. and might be goin eco complete in my 20 and might toss in an inch or so in this little thing lol see where that gets me. but thanks for the advise everyone.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back