Cichlids Cichlids Cichlids..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JoeGuzzo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
starting up my 55 gallon and i want to set up a new world cichlid tank..but thats about all i know

im not sure what cichlids i want in there, how many, or if i want to put anything else in there as well.

im not really to familiar with any new world cichlids so i was wondering if anybody can give me recommendations on what fish to put in there. also if somebody could tell me how i should set it up, i have a few decorations in there that i got from my aunt but only so it looks nice and stops taunting me as much as when theres nothing in there but sand and water.

anyway, the fish i wasnt, i dont want anything to big like an oscar or jack dempsey im looking for smaller fish because i would rather have more small fish than a few big fish!

any and all advice would be very much appreciated! :nod: :good:

you sure these are all good? i mean im sure youre sure you wouldnt tell me them if you werent sure i just have to ask youknow? lol and any suggestions on how to sset up the tank? im so indecisive its incredible, especially when it comes to my fish ! the ideas are pretty much endless!

Most SA cichlids, apart from the ones that Mattlee names get pretty large. I have Jack Dempseys and Green Terrors that I keep in 55g tanks, but they are breeding pairs and are the only fish in the tank. If you are wanted a varaiety, then I would choose from the list above or research SA cichlids of the same size. And watch out for Convicts if they are breeding. They get pretty rowdy. Another option you could pursue is African cichlids. They have a lot of dwarf species as well that would suit a 55g tank very niceley.

I think SA is the way I want to go I want fish that are somewhat aggressive but not too much, I want to be able to put other fish in with them as well such as kuhli loaches, they can go with the SA cichlids right?

Your basic sa/ca cichlid tank you will want sand or fine gravel substrate, decorate with plenty of wood and hardy plants like java fern, moss and anubias, some cichlids you can get away with vallis and amazon sword.

To add to matt's list you also have angels, some of the smaller acara species ie. aquidenes metae, Thorichthys sp. meeki(Firemouth), Elliotti, aureus etc. whichever you choose check compatability, rams do not always mix well with more agressive sorts like some of the thorichthys. Best thing is to have a look and see what you fancy and post up a list, everyone on here would help :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back