Cichlid Selection

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

StiX

Fish Herder
Reaction score
ok, the time is drawing near to get my fish for my new Rio 300 tank! So I need to decide on my fish choice...thats where u lot come in ;)

Below is a list of fish which I am thinking of getting :

Blue-Eye Cichlid - Cichlasoma spilurum – x2 M + F
African Butterfly Cichlid - Anomolachromis Thomasi - x2 M+F
Redbreast Acara - Laetacara Dorsigera – x4 2M + 2F
Flag Cichlid - Laetacara curviceps – x3 1M + 2F ?
Crested Dwarf Cichlid - Apistogramma Cacatuoides Sunburst - x3 1M + 2F
Apistogramma Agassizi x1 M
Angelfish x2 (or x3?)

will these fish all get along ok? The tank is 48x20x24" btw and planted!

Cheers

Dave :)

Thats an awful lot of cichlids what about some catfish :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of corse there will be catfish ;) lol But it was just the cichlids I needed some info on :p

will try to be really cut and dry here and not turn this into a book! sorry the danny in me sometimes comes out!

cichlasoma spirilum - trade name blue eye cichlid. very pretty cichlid. and one of the largest on the list. the males of this species can get up to 5". also the only central american on the list. it prefers slow moving water and is found on sandy, muddy or rocky bottoms in the river valleys. prefers temps from 72-90 farenheit

anomalochromis thomasi - trade name african butterfly cichlid. found in the west africa rivers. gets to lengths of 2" in the males. prefers the faster moving waters. prefers tems from 73 - 81 degrees

laetacara dorsigera - trade name redbreast acara. this fish is from south america. if you are having a heavily planted tank make sure that you have a lid on it since this fish is known to leap onto topwater vegetation to avoid predators in the wild. could be a problem. gets to be about 4.5" when fully grown. prefers temps from 68 - 73 degrees.

laetacara curviceps - trade name flag acara. also from south america. can survive in lower levels of ph. can get to lengths of 4" full grown. prefers temps from 72 - 79 degrees.

apistogramma cacatuoides sunburst - trade name crested dwarf cichlid. also a smaller south amercan cichlid. gets to lengths of 2". prefers temps of 75-77 degrees.

apistogramma agassizii - also from south amerca and one of the smaller cichlids. gets up to lengths of 2". prefers temps of 79-84 degrees.

from a temperature point, the acara would prefer a cooler tank and the agassizii needs a warmer tank. you would have to maintain a tank at 75-77 degrees to accomodate the rest of the fish. a ph range of no higher than 7.5. the acara prefers the lower ph ranges.

hth

maggie

Cheers for the info magg's :)

The temp is a steady 77, and the pH is around 7.2, so they are all compatible with my set-up I guess :)

would be alright for everyone but the acara, too warm and not warm enough for the agassizii. ph is also high for the agassizi. prefers ph 7.0 and under.

maggie

Doh, here comes the conflicting info -_- I was using the aquaria central profiles to get the info on the fish ( here ) which says 75-82° F for the agassizi and 72-79° F for the red-brest :S :huh:

btw, I allready have the agassizi in my tank, and he seems to be doing great...

hey if it is working out for you, keep it up. what works for one may not work for another and i have found that info is so conflicting when it comes to fish keeping that i just use it as a guide.

so where are the pics? :/

just :wub: the agassizi after seeing mac's that he had. gorgeous fish!

maggie

Pics will be here soon enough! ;) :D (probably 2morrow)

TOMORROW! have you not come to the realization that i am a very impatient person yet?

i want pictures! i want pictures!

:*) feel better though!

maggie

arghhhh now u sound just like SLT!! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I havent got any software installed at the mo, and its almost time to visit nap land anyways

....so tomorrow it is :p :flowers: :zz :thumbs: :#

slt gave me the handy book of how to keep you guys in line before she left :p

good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite!

maggie

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back