Cichlid-Proof Plants?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SherLar

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
   Hello All.

I have easy care live plants in 2 tanks now and love them. I've tried to add live plants (Anubias, Java fern) to our S American cichlid tank, but they're eaten completely by morning. We're planning to ad an African cichlid tank soon, and I'd like to have live plants in that, as well as our S American tank.
   Are there any easy care plants that are cichlid proof? What about Marimo Moss Balls? Others?

Plants with cichlids are a problem. Depending on the cichlids, there are no plants that would work. The thickest leaved anubias can work with some cichlids.

I've never had a problem with Rams and plants. Further, I've never heard of Africans working with plants at all. Maybe if you tried something big in pots, but I just don't see it being feasible... It's an uphill battle. Might be best to just invest in some good fake plants and cut your losses.

Vallisnera loves hard water which is compatible with Africans.

The biggest problem is that Africans are diggers and they go to amazing lengths in landscaping their own environments. Another issue is that Africans also require a really high flow rate which lots of plants don't really appreciate.

I have a 100 gallon mbuna tank which is hardscape only - no plants, only lots of rocks and caves as well as a sand substrate. The Africans don't need plants to be happy, but they do appreciate grazing on any algae that you allow to grow in your tank.

In my experience, I would go with hardscape only.

luca1980 said:
Vallisnera loves hard water which is compatible with Africans.

The biggest problem is that Africans are diggers and they go to amazing lengths in landscaping their own environments. Another issue is that Africans also require a really high flow rate which lots of plants don't really appreciate.

I have a 100 gallon mbuna tank which is hardscape only - no plants, only lots of rocks and caves as well as a sand substrate. The Africans don't need plants to be happy, but they do appreciate grazing on any algae that you allow to grow in your tank.

In my experience, I would go with hardscape only.
Agreed, that is spot on, you can do some wonderful looking things with hard scaping and if you are looking to do it for your own viewing pleasure, please remember that cichlids are some of the most stunning freshwater fish around. Is it not better to see them fully?

ricbea said:
, please remember that cichlids are some of the most stunning freshwater fish around. Is it not better to see them fully?

Agreed, but I always preferred tanks where everything isn't seen at first glance.

Depending on which type of Africans you are looking at, their natural habitat has very few (if any) live plants in it.

For example, mbunas from Lake Malawi mostly around the huge rock formations that are there. If you look at these guys in their natural environment, there are no plants there - only rocks, caves, sand and algae.

I am less experienced with cichlids from Lake Tanganyika and Lake Victoria, so I don't know much about their natural habitat but maybe someone else can jump in with information on them.

IMO its always best to replicate any fish's natural environment as closely as possible. That, combined with good water management and tank maintenance, will usually result in happy, healthy fish. If you try to fight against nature, nature usually always wins!

Thank you all. That's pretty much what I figured. I'm fairly new to live plants, but now that I have them, I've grown to really like how they look, and help keep the tank clean. I've added them to 2 more tanks now. The African tank is up and almost cycled now, and I think it's nicely decorated with hardscape, so I'll let the fish provide the color.

Most reactions

trending

Back