Cichlid Lake Salt

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dcraveiro

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on Lake Salt? I got some in my tank and I'd like to know more about it. Does it help simulate the natural environment for the cichlids I have? Any info on that stuff would help, I'm just curious.

I've used the African lake salts before, I don't know how well your pleco will do with them though, they may not affect him at all :dunno:

IMO..it's not necessary unless they're wild caught. Or perhaps if they've lived in natural habitat simulated enviroments recently. Most pet store cichlids are adapted to regular tapwater by your lfs. I use Cichlid-gro by Tropical Science, only on occasion though and not at full strength because I have loaches. I can't tell any difference from when I use it and when I don't so...I hardly use it. Leaning more towards never than hardly.

Ditto ditto ditto. Most of our fish have been aquarium bred and it doesn't make much difference.

I've haven't used these additives in years and the health, color, breeding, longevity etc. of the fish have not been effected. Because of this experience I'm convinced that in most cases, unless your tap water is unusually soft, these additives are more useful as an idea then in application. Now I just use baking soda if my kh is too low, to buffer the PH, and that's it.

I guess I'll stick with a low dose. My Aulonocara Maleri were caught in the wild so I guess that'll be nice for them. Thanks for the advice! :D

does it contain iodine? many african cichlids require some iodine in the water.
cheers!

interesting...all tap water? is there a test for it?

i also know you can add iodized table salt for this

cheers!

:p

Yeah, it contains iodine. It's Seachem's Cichlid Lake Salt. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back