Cichlid hiding!?!?!?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ericag90

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all! I am a new mommy to my beautiful cichlids!!! I purchased 12 different kinds about a month ago. I did lose 3 of them in the beginning but all are doing great now.....except one. I got 2 little blue ones that both were a grayish blue until one day I noticed the one had black stripes....we’ll ever since I noticed the stripes he hides! Under rocks and air bubblers and will not come out all day! He did poke out this am for feeding time but for a split second and right back to under the rock!?!?! I have seen where they can be spooked but he has been doing this for about 5 or so days now and nothing has changed in the tank!? Water change is due tonight and I’m worried about the little guy ? The photo is the other blue that doesn’t hide just so you can get an idea of the kind of cichlid

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 402
You probably have 2 males and the dominant one is bullying the weaker one, which is hiding to avoid confrontations. If you notice one bashing the other you will have to separate them.

I can’t tell make from female but one changed its colors and got black stripes...the one that is now hiding....

You probably won't be able to sex them at such a young age but if there are two that really go at each other, they are likely male. Most stores will accept (especially cichlids) fish returns if they don't work in the tank, I say especially cichlids because since they are hard to sex at a young age you will often end up with 2 males, which will lead to the non dominant male being essentially bullied to death. Were these African or South American cichlid when you bought them? that one looks like an African.

I believe they are African cichlids...he is actually starting to slowly come out of hiding but I noticed he is bullying my red eyed ones now! He doesn’t look like he has been beaten up and I haven’t noticed anyone messing with him but not to say the others aren’t...

Are any of the other fish of the same colour as him/her? Males of different species usually can live together. With most Africans there will always be chasing, its not usually an issue unless one particular fish is getting it the most.

Oh Sorry, I forgot you said there is two blue ones in your original post. Two of the same kind could potentially be a problem. If its two males they could fight until the less dominant one dies, if its a male and female then the female will likely be harassed by the male who will constantly want to breed. At their age though that is unlikely.
As long as no one is getting hurt or constantly abused then you are good, but just be prepared to have to step in and possibly sell or return a fish at some point, one thing I was told when I started keeping Africans was to not get attached because once they start to mature some will likely have to be sold or returned.

I am trying my hardest to not get attached but I’m already there I think lol!!! Thanks for all your advice

Happens to everyone :D Just keep an eye on them and make sure not one or two particular ones are being picked on or picking on each other. If you have any other issues feel free to ask for help. :) Good Luck!

I do actually have another issue....I believe there may be some ich in the tank! I purchased a parasite remedy from imagitarium and just put the first dose in....the reasoning is I noticed little white specs on 2 of them but also I see them brushing up against rocks and such! Now it seems like they are rubbing up against stuff more since I put the stuff in?? Also should I be removing the carbon filters when I use the treatment for ich? Thanks in advance

Yes you need to remove carbon from filters when adding chemicals to the tank otherwise the carbon will absorb the chemicals/ medication. If you have carbon in a filter and it has been wet, then throw it away.

The is some information about whitespot (Ich) at the following link. The first thread on page 1 and last thread on page 2 have the info, pg 2 being written more for the beginner.

If you can post a picture of the fish with spots we can confirm if it is Ich.

It is both the electric yellow sonitnis very hard to see but I can try for the picture!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back