Chromoaphyosemion Bitaeniatum Ijebu Ode

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ricko10

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
has anyone kept these? if so how did you get on and were there any problems. secondly where can i get some. preff eggs.
cheers

Nice group of fishes these (chromoaphyosemion) Contains many members from various locations (old bivittatums "Bivs")
I kept this strain about 7-8 years ago and the males were striking when in a threat posture with other males. They are scrappy with other males (a trend in most killis)
Ijebu Ode is certainly a very colourful representitive of the genus along with the Umudike population. I have kept others in the same group such as poliaki, splendoplure, volcanum etc all nice fish but not as colourful IMO as the strain you are looking at.
As for breeding
usual setup 12x8x8 tank for a pair (a trio is preferable) fairly soft water and a pH of around 6.5 should be used. Temperature around 74'F with a teaspoon of cooking salt added
They are top spawners so floating mops are the order of the day.
They will consume the usual fish diets but I always fed mine livefood most of the time with a bit of beefheart and flake on occaisions.
Do keep the tank clean as these killis wont thank you for bad husbandry in my opinion you should be waterchanging about a third of the water per week.
One thing I did notice about this population was that the eggs were rather delicate of this species and did not take to handling quite well. So I just took the mop laden with eggs and placed it in a margarine tub wit around 50mm of parent tank water floated in the parent tank and replaced a new mop.
The eggs hatch in or around 11-14 days with most Chromoaphyosemions. and the fry take microworm and newly hatched BS from the outset. Although I like to provide infusorians alongside these foods in the early days of life.
As for obtainin that exact strain I will make a few enquiries and keep a look out and let you know in the comming days
I hope this was of some help to you
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back