Chopped Earthworm

drobbyb

Bowhead
Joined
Sep 22, 2008
Messages
3,251
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Easley, South Carolina USA
I went fishing yesterday, taking advantage of the nice weather. We had about half a tin of earthworms left over so I took them home. I intend to chop them up and use as a treat for my rainbows. How would I go about doing it?

Anyone feed earthworms to your fish?
 
make sure they are out the soil sound silly but dont get 1's off the paths or oot like that just oot the soil then wash and chop and drop easy as that well thats how i do it
 
or make a wormery so you no what they are eating and that they are safe to use in your tank :)
 
I would take then and put them in soem regualr water, and wait 10 mins. Because they will take water in and then they will try to poop it out, cleaning out their insides. Or, you can take your fingers and squeeze and pull your fingers along the body, and the "poop" will come out. Both ways work.
 
Quick rinse then use the back of the knife to squeeze out all the gunk 2 times up and down then chop in little chunks which will be gulpable by your fishes mouths.
 
The are said to be very nutritious for meat eating fish. I've heard that a good way to prepare them is to clean them, and then freeze them, before chopping them up. It would seem that they would be less messy and can be more easily cut into small pieces that way. :D
 
Bleh.... you guys are so much less squeamish than I am... just the thought of chopping up a wriggling worm makes me feel... just.. bleh rofl. I'm sure it makes great fishy food though.
 
Great Idea!, I use to love feeding the young oscar I had live earth worms and he use to love them!. Its more interesting to watch when they are alive, my oscar use to wrestle with them and then go to the back of the tank to digest. And I agree with the comment about creating your own supply, as they are great for a treat now and then!
 
The are said to be very nutritious for meat eating fish. I've heard that a good way to prepare them is to clean them, and then freeze them, before chopping them up. It would seem that they would be less messy and can be more easily cut into small pieces that way. :D

My fish and shrimp prefer them when they are still wriggling.
 
My bettas will literally bite my fingers for worm bits. Bronson has a remarkably strong jaw for such a little fish!

I would say get a compost bin or wormery though. Don't just dig them out of the garden as you don't know where they've been, an your neighbors may have used pesticides on their lawns which can get into the dirt, and thus into the worm.

You can get red brandlin worms from fishing tackle shops. Bung them in your compost bin and leave them to breed. The tiny baby worms can be fed whole to most fish as they are usually not much bigger than a bloodworm. Bigger worms need to be chopped of course.

Our compost bin has been left completely alone all winter, and it's HEAVING with worms! Bloody great handfuls of them, I could feed a whole fish shop! :lol:
 
I might make some batches o chopped worm to freeze actually. I'll see if I can't get an old ice cube tray from a charity shop or something. I can fill a couple of trays easily. Anyone want some worms??? :lol:
 
I went fishing yesterday, taking advantage of the nice weather. We had about half a tin of earthworms left over so I took them home. I intend to chop them up and use as a treat for my rainbows. How would I go about doing it?

Anyone feed earthworms to your fish?

lol i think its funny that everyone here is so sympathetic to fish abuse yet they have no problem with chopping a live worm into several pieces. just sayin
 
Depends on the extent of the fish abuse. I have no problem with the circle of life however I do have a problem with keeping a fish in an aquarium which will cause it to have stumped growth and die prematurely from organ failure or poor water quality.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top