Chineses Algae Eaters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PJGuppies

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting one for one of my tanks cause I am having problems with red algae and I heard they are they only ones that eat it..But the tank is a fry tank and I was wondering if they will eat my babies??

I had mine in my 29 gal tank that had lots of baby guppies and it never hurt a fly. but that was just my fish although they can be very territoral and in fact he killed the other one.

I'm with juanveldez, my algae eaters have never developed a taste for baby fishies, and they are very territorial, so only get one and maybe provide him with a place to hide.

Devin

Am I right in thinking they get to about 10 inches or so?? Or is that in the wild?

Same name but in a Golden form. Gyrinocheilus aymonieri. Around 10 inches in home tanks and has been know to find 12 inch one's from the wild.

Graeme.

I had bad experience with CAE coz it kept bullying and freaked out the other tankmates. But they do a wonderful job in cleaning algae, not sure of red algae tho. How big is ur tank? I heard they can grow very big!

I read that SAE (the true ones) is the only species that cleans away brush/hair algae. Ottos r the second best.

You sure your not thinking of a sucking loach (chinese algae eater). Very vicious and will harass other fish to death! And get big and terratorial (i have one).

Saying that he is my most favorite bottom feeder (out of 8!)

Feline said:
I read that SAE (the true ones) is the only species that cleans away brush/hair algae. Ottos r the second best.
Right on the button,the siamese algea eater is the only aquarium fish known to eat red/black hair algea,CAE's are not good algea eaters at all and are very aggresive.

Before going to your lfs check this site print it out and take it with you....

There are a few species that look very similar and the staff dont allways know what they've got themselves (Maidenhead Aquatics :grr: ) - as I learnt the hard way.....

SAE's :thumbs:

hth

:)

ottos are small and docile but they`l starve if you don`t feed then algae tablets because they`re so good at cleaning.I`ve heard chinese algae eater are vicious unless you have the False chinese algae eaters,they`re just territorial.But this isn`t first hand info.

Mary52 said:
ottos are small and docile but they`l starve if you don`t feed then algae tablets because they`re so good at cleaning.I`ve heard chinese algae eater are vicious unless you have the False chinese algae eaters,they`re just territorial.But this isn`t first hand info.
yes the otocinclus is very peaceful compared to the chinese algea eater :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back