Chinchilla Vs Ferret

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

My chinchilla was very uninteractive the first year I had him, but he's recently started warming up. They're not the kind of pet that is going to really play with you or seek your attention, but ours enjoys the occasional chin-scratch, and always wants to be out when we're in the room. They don't cost very much to maintain, but the dustbathing is terrible for allergies :p They're very clean - they poo a lot, but it's completely dry and easy to clean. But I've found that, unless you have time to let them out for several hours a day, they need a huge cage - My lone guy has a ferret nation all to himself, and sometimes he's still bouncing off the walls of it!

Also, @Jonny - Totally agree with you on the rat(s,) but terrible if you don't have a lot of free time and a lot of money for medical bills. I think over the 14 or so I've owned over the last 7 years, I've spent a good four grand on vets 0.0

Well if you decide on a ferret be aware they like rabbits especially live ones :lol:

LOL

Yes, defiantly! I think the moment my boyfriend herd about rabbits, ferrets flew in one ear and out :lol:

We had chins when I was younger. All I remember was them not particularly liking being handled, and them ripping the wallpaper apart behind the cage even though it was around an inch away from them.

I'd pick a ferret any day of the week. They're like dogs just significantly smaller.

chin are easly scared and skitish and die from shock realy easy we had 1 as a kids and i think it died due to panicing with the dogs also very borin they dont like been handled they panic like mad when u pick them up the cages cost a bomb and hurt when ther bite. ferrets on the other hand can keep check on pests like rats mice ect the farm up the road from me uses them plus if you handle them right in your head the are fantastic pets and u want get the shap teeth in ur fingers. have you thought about chipmonks as they are friendly dont smell cost less than chins about £35-£40 each there realy active and full of charictor that make them the class clowns

I have only had one chinchilla, so I admit that it is quite possible that mine is... er... not like the rest. He's not easily scared at all. Twitchy? Yes. But when something new comes up, he's the first of the pets to investigate it. When I first got him (quite unexpectedly, he was a rescue,) his first matter of business was tearing off a chunk of my dog's nose when she sniffed the cage.

They DO tear apart walls! I have NO IDEA HOW. Illustrated are some quarter-inch deep gashes... His cage was TWO INCHES from the wall.

bd0fZ.jpg

And here he is enjoying pets.

e6A2i.jpg

They're definitely less time consuming than rabbits... But still time consuming. :p

Thankyou for advice everyone, but...

When my boyfriend got the idea that he wanted a rabbit, chinchilla and ferret flew out of his head :p

Thankyou for advice everyone, but...

When my boyfriend got the idea that he wanted a rabbit, chinchilla and ferret flew out of his head :p
Yes Rabbits! :hyper:
My favourite are those tiny cute black rabbits :wub:
My friends rabbit got eaten by a Fox :angry: :rip:

Hello everyone,

My boyfriends needs a little help here :p
He has decided that he would like to get a pet, and is trying to decide between a Chinchilla and a Ferret. Personly, I would say ferret any day- I have had four in the past, and they are amazing :good: But it does take a dedicated person to look after a ferret, they need tons of attention. So I was wondering, do you guys have any preference of these two?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated :nod:

Zophie
Ferrets all the way, they need no more dedication than other pets and if handled enough they dont bite, the only downside is the smell BUT you can get their anal glands taken out and that gets rid of the smell 100%

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back