Cherry Shrimp Breeding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

tmoney7

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So i have some cherry shrimp and i can see a saddle on one of them very easily so i'm guessing it wont be to long before she has her eggs.  I was just wondering how long they usually stay buried when laying their eggs

I've seen my RCS's just deposit their eggs wherever they were, never seen them bury themselves. Don't know if that only means that they felt safe? And they reproduce like crazy! :)

Either a few days to a week. They don't really "lay" their eggs as much as they keep them on top of their back legs/under their tail.  If you look at a more detailed/magnified image of a females saddle, it's actually made up of very small eggs that become fertilized once a male latches onto her, and then the eggs migrate down her body until they hatch.

As far as how long they stay berried -- normally around a month from the time you see the eggs till the time the fry are let loose.  Now I think it is about a week or so from the time a shrimp has a saddle and breeds with a male before they move to the tail.(where you can see the eggs IF she bred with a male).

yea i'm hoping that i will see her with some eggs i would like some more shrimp.

Most reactions

Back