Cherry Shrimp And Multie Cichlids!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Brahmza

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a few questions about both mentioned in the thread name.

I'm interested in starting a cherry shrimp colony. I have two tanks, a 15g and a 10g, available. Both are already up and running with established filters, etc. Curious what a good starting number would be, and what kinds of decor shrimps like (caves, large plants, bushy plants, etc).

I have a 20g long which I just added 4 multie cichlids to, and I'm curious if there are any tank mates I should go for, like maybe a group of danios for the top level, or something. If keeping it as a species tank, would it be a good idea to get a couple more multies? The tank feels pretty empty. I'm running two sponge bios estimated for a 50g each, one with a Marineland Powerhead 400, and one with a 40g estimated air pump, so filtration shouldn't be an issue. They just look lonely! Hah

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Sorry but cichlids are not my field, they are all to often on the aggressive side, how ever shrimp I can help you with.

Cherry shrimp are one of the easiest shrimp to keep and breed. I would say start off with 10 or 12 as a good starting number and dont fall into the trap of only buying the redest cherry shrimp, otherwise the there is a good chance you will only have females. Ratio wise you could get away with 2 females per male but once they starting dropping their shrimplets the ratio will never really be that cut and dry again.

Alright I was thinking I'd get 12. Does the way I plant it out effect it much? Looking to go synthetic, I haven't made that step to live plants yet haha. I read online that they like heavily planted tanks.

Just get a clump of java moss for the shrimp. It hardly needs any care, and the shrimp will love you for it. 

If the shrimps feel threatened by the cichlid, you wont see them much. They'd probably appreciate a little cave to hang out in as a sanctuary. They also like eating microbes in mosses.

Multies will lay waste to a cherry shrimp colony. Don't be fooled by their size.

As noted in my first tank, I have the cichlids in a 20g long by themselves. The colony for the shrimp will be in a 15g. Sorry for the confusion haha.

With the shell cichlids, since they rarely go to the upper half of the tank, could I put in something like danios or rainbows? I was also thinking of adding a group of mystery or assassin snails to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back