Chemical supplies info

Lynnzer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm doing a lot of water testing right now on my tanks as I've made a good deal of changes to some tanks, including removal of the substrate and replacing it with new gravel or sand with a layer of growth medium for the plants. I didn't change the filters or the medium.
Anyway, all's fine in them except for the one new tank I set up for the dwarf rasboras. This was totally empty and unused for 3 years. I did a large gravel bottom with a layer of growth medium on top in net pouches, and topped it off with sand. I included a bit of nice looking dried out wood that I found in our local woods, I gave it a weeks worth of soaking first after initially boiling it.
Knowing that a fish-in cycle needs careful attention I'm checking the water at least twice a day.
I'm mostly showing an acceptable level of ammonia on the NT Labs test kit (yellow) but seem to be getting constant nitrite and nitrate readings towards the mid level of pinky red. Both clear of the skull and crossbones though. I change 50% of the water twice a day to keep control.
I just emptied the contents of a freshly squeezed sponge filter from another tank into this one just to see if it gives a boost to the reduction of the bad stuff.
Anyway, as you can imagine, such constant checking takes its toll on the testing kit liquids. I have already used my mathematical skills to figure out that a level of 5ml using 5 drips from a bottle can be whittled down to 1 ml and 1 drip. Same result. However it still uses up a lot of liquid when doing multiple daily checks.
The GH test is even worse. It has to be done with a 5ml sample as you can't equally divide the necessary amount of drops from the 2 test liquids. Then when the GH is hard it takes up to 20 drops from bottle B, or more depending on the local water supply, so that gives a very limited life to that bottle.
What I'd like to know, penny for penny and with quality of chemicals in mind, is there a way to buy separate bottles of this stuff in larger volumes, or is there some other way to do the tests with another less expensive test kit.

You used to be able to buy the individual reagents for some test kits but that was 20 years ago. I am unsure if you can still do that today. Perhaps see if you can find out what the ingredients are and buy them from a chemist. Or see if a chemist or lab can test the bottle of reagent and tell you what is in it. Then make up your own.

Last edited:
The problem with test kits is that even if you can find out what's in them, they don't say how much of each chemical is needed. Since the results are measured by colour, the concentrations of the ingredients is essential to know.

Pro-Shrimp stock the individual bottles for the NT Labs tests, each one contains tween 30 and 40 tests per bottle...not sure if that would be any help in extending the life of your test kit...

Pro-Shrimp stock the individual bottles for the NT Labs tests, each one contains tween 30 and 40 tests per bottle...not sure if that would be any help in extending the life of your test kit...

Unless I can find an actual chemist, rather than the typical pharmacist, I guess this is the way to go. Thanks for that.
However, my original thread title was about the rip-offs of doing things as instructed to do. ie 5ml water, then 5 drips of the liquid. What a load of bollox. 1ml of water and 1 drip gets the same result.
It's sort of comparing putting a gallon of petrol in your car and getting 30 miles from it, or filling your fuel tank with 15 gallons and hoping to go further than the average mpg will allow.

Unless I can find an actual chemist, rather than the typical pharmacist, I guess this is the way to go. Thanks for that.
However, my original thread title was about the rip-offs of doing things as instructed to do. ie 5ml water, then 5 drips of the liquid. What a load of bollox. 1ml of water and 1 drip gets the same result.
It's sort of comparing putting a gallon of petrol in your car and getting 30 miles from it, or filling your fuel tank with 15 gallons and hoping to go further than the average mpg will allow.
IANAC but using a larger sample size may result in a more accurate ratio of sample-to-reagent due to the variance in volume of the individual drops.

Most reactions

Back