Cheap aquarium plants?

Mowgli

Reaction score
Hello! I am very very new to planted tanks, my dad gave me a few cuttings from a plant in his tank and so far they have been doing well in mine!
I have a 15 gallon and I would LOVE to have it somewhat heavily planted (contains a snail, betta fish, and formally shrimp but the betta started chasing after the shrimp so I moved the little guys to a smaller tank alone)

where can I get cheap aquarium plants? At pet stores, from what I’ve seen, they are $10-$15 each!

another question, is getting aquarium plants from places like kijiji or Facebook marketplace safe? Or could it bring contaminants like diseases into my tank? (Pretty much a local buy and sell place)
Thanks!!

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
I buy a lot of plants off of ebay, and have not had any problems. I do a bleach dip, as directed on this article.

Hornwort, bucopa, pennywort, amazon swords, Java ferns. These are all hardy plants, and from what I have seen they ship decently well.

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month!
Pet of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
I second the eBay option. You can get a bundle of 15 different plants for around $30.

Ellie Potts

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Yup! Local clubs, fb groups, and ebay. You can also see if a local fish store is willing to give you some small cuttings for cheap that you can propagate. I'm a fan of water wisteria as a starting plant